Wednesday, April 28, 2021

i'm a customer

i really haven't created too many custom cards in the last few years, but it was definitely something i enjoyed doing in my early blogging years. completing the dodgers 1978 topps set was probably my favorite effort in the custom card creating realm, although there were some steve garvey cards and a few others that i am proud of as well. the real highlight was seeing a couple of my creations make it to a bigger stage - the espn 30 for 30 on glenn burke featured my 1980 topps creation, and cbs showed a gerry hannahs card i created during their final four coverage one year.  i've also seen a couple of articles online use my card images. of course, it is frustrating to see some of these cards being sold online by jackasses. i know i am not the only one - the late bob lemke and gio have many more creations that are being sold by these people.

anyway, i went and bought some actual printed copies of custom cards recently - not knockoffs by frank and his laserprinter. the first one to show is from gummy arts, and it features a 1979 topps rookie star style card for everybody's favorite mess of a band, the replacements
the back is blank, except for the 'gummy arts' stamp
i became a fan of the band when i first heard 'pleased to meet me' in 1987. it came out around the same time as u2's 'the joshua tree', and both were in heavy rotation in my car and walkman (yes, it was the era of the walkman, and my friends and i would listen to cassette tapes on our van rides to and from our baseball games in the spring of '87). the collector recently posted about his favorite bands from a to z, and in my comment response, i had these guys representing the letter 'r'. i am also a big fan of r.e.m., but the replacements win out.  i saw the mats (short for 'placemats' which is short for 'replacements') live in southern california in 1989, and then again in one of their last shows in 2014 at a minor league baseball stadium in st. paul. in between, i saw frontman paul westerberg live a handful of times here in the twin cities. i am happy to have this card in my "meaningful and just because" mini-collection to represent one of my favorite bands. the title of this post, by the way, is a nod to both custom card making, my purchasing of the custom cards of others, and a song by the replacements.

i also added another card from gummy arts, this 1977 topps-ish glenn burke card
it references the high-five that burke shared with dusty baker which is largely recognized as the first high-five in sports. i never did create a 1977 burke card of my own - just the aforementioned 1980 "final tribute".

here are some other gummy arts cards that i found online. i don't have hard copies of these, unfortunately.

now here are a couple of cards that i won from cards that never were
he printed out copies of the 1968 topps proofs that were never put in to production of tom seaver and bob gibson. both of the hall of famers were captured goofing off for the photographer as southpaws. this might be the happiest you will see gibson on a card, in fact. these cards are available, along with more of his creations through his website.

next up are some cards that i bought from mark at i draw baseball cards. i first saw this card for sale on ebay
that's mark's take on my favorite card of all time - the 1978 topps steve garvey card. knowing that i would much rather purchase the card from the source, i sought out mark's website and saw that the card was part of a set of his interpretation of 10 cards from the 1970's. the checklist is on the back of each card:
i thought the other cards were great, so i bought the whole set. here's a look at the other nine cards
not sure i would have put ron leflore back in prison, but i do like that he was included in the set. there was a separate checklist included that noted my set is number 62/100
as of a week or so ago, there were still some sets available, along with his eighties set. these are definitely worth checking out in my opinion.  mark also signed the back of another card sized item
which was a black and white printout of a dave parker item
this reminded me of another custom that collecting cutch posted a while back regarding the custom baseball card/comic book art print mashups that daniel horine creates at pop fly shop. by the time i saw cc's post, i was too late to buy one of horine's steve garvey creations, but i figured i'd show it here regardless:
cool stuff.  i've seen some other garvey custom items offered for sale online that look to be professionally done. this is something called a "banty red"
and is supposedly a brooklyn dodgers variation according to the listing, and was the 2nd copy offered for sale to date. no word from the seller if he plans to limit the print run though.  here's the back:
someone (not me) paid $97 for that card.

this is another banty red creation
it sold for over $115.

here's another one that's been a mainstay on ebay for a while. this one is called a "monarch corona diamond collection" card
it is based on a 1963 fleer design, and features the garv in an oft-used photo from his big ten days. here's the back:
these are more reasonably priced, but i have no desire to purchase any even though they are better than a lot of the customs i see for sale. no, i am satisfied with the garveys i have created; however, if gio from when topps had (base)balls were to print and sell his garveys, i'd be in. i did buy his 1978 topps custom booklet a couple years back which featured a bunch of cards that should have been.  here's one of gio's steve garvey cards that i really like:
for the record, i also like garvey's actual 1979 topps card, but this would have worked for me, too.  

8 comments:

  1. I love the Tiant! It almost has a Simpsons feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 79 Garvey custom would have ranked up there as the best Garvey card of all time. Right now 77 holds that distinction for me.

    Not my creation, but I guess I was foolish enough to post a custom a friend made for me with a 70 Topps Garvey with the large all-rookie team trophy. A real fantasy card, since Garvey was nowhere near good enough as a rookie to be on the team, but I love the subset too much not to have seen one. One of those said jackasses has sold some. I ever tried asking them to stop and they agreed, only to relist at a later date anyway. Mistake I'll never make again in sharing a special image without some sort of watermark in the future.

    I have collected many of the customs and cards that never were, both as image files and as printed cards. I stopped chasing them all when some ebay fool was showing nice digital images, but selling crappy printed copies that were faded out. They were also all marked as 1/1s at the beginning, but slight variations to the border or whatever lead to more and more copies. I guess if the big card makers can do it, why can't the copyright thieves as well?

    Now I hate most of them being printed and sold, but you showed a few exceptions including the 78T and the Banty (which I did not win, but forced the winner to pay up strong as under bidder). To date, that is the only Banbty card I have seen offered that I was not able to win...both 52T copies, as I think the 1st may have been an LA version. I'd have to find the scan I saved to know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i asked one of the sellers to stop selling my images but they still pop up. one particular seller has even disabled the "contact seller" function on their listings.

      Delete
  3. by the way, I also love the Gummy Art cards. No printed garvey that I am aware of, but he has drawn a few and I found images online, including a 1983 Fleer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - all fairly literal translations of the originals but cool to see nonetheless

      Delete
  4. Awesome stuff. My favorites are the Dock Ellis, Billy Martin, and the 78 Garvey.

    ReplyDelete