Saturday, April 3, 2021

whoomp heritage!

i placed a sportlots order earlier this week for a bunch of 2021 topps heritage cards. lord knows i won't find packs anywhere! the first few cards arrived yesterday and today, and one of them was this glorious piece of cardboard:
card number 1 in the set! world series champions! the first card of the like that i've seen in my lifetime, thanks to topps ignoring the 1981 and 1988 world series in their sets the following years. i just wish they had used a team photo (even though justin turner broke protocol) rahter than the bouncy mass of the first guys to make it to the mound.  i am not complaining though - i love this card!

here's the back, and i love it, too:
it's great that topps replicated the back of the 1972 team cards. here's the original:
it looks like topps didn't go earlier than 1900 when putting the 1972 back together, but in 2021 they included the full franchise history, dating back to 1890. case in point is "h. collins" aka hub, who scored 148 runs in 1890 (even though the heritage card says it happened in 1948) which is 18 more runs than b. herman ("b" for "babe" on the 2021 card and "f" for "floyd", his given name, on the 1972 card) did in 1930. herman is still the franchise leader for hits, though.

home runs gets an update thanks to shawn green's 2001 season, and mike marshall's record of 106 games pitched shows up, too. those are the only two of the listed dodger franchise marks that have been set since 1971, however. the pennants are updated, with those from 1977, 1978, 1981, 1988, 2017, 2018 and 2020 represented. left out completely between the two cards is the 1974 pennant. that's too bad.

there are a couple of curiosities about the individual world series cards, three of which feature the dodgers:
you will notice that these cards represent games 1, 5, and 6. there is no card for the other dodger victory which came in game 3. strange. the 1972 set didn't miss a game. also, topps used a different color text for the year on these cards. doubly strange, as the 1972 set didn't have this issue.  the backs, however, feature the offensive parts of the box score from each game:
which is consistent with 1972. overall i am happy to see these cards.

here's a card that i am really pleased with - mookie betts in action!
i am sure it was intentional (even though the card numbers don't match) for this card to pay tribute to maury wills' 1972 in action card
so great! it's hard to see, but topps added team text to the betts card under his name. had that been a thing in 1972, i might not have added tom haller's card to my dodger team set.

cody bellinger's in action card
has the national league batting champion list on the back:
tommy davis is still the last dodger to lead the league in batting, even though eddie murray sort of did in 1990. and speaking of league leaders, here is a great looking card:
so many home run leaders - i am very happy that topps included all of these guys, except they still don't remember how to recognize players that are tied for a position. alonso, betts, calhoun, duvall, machado, and pollock should all be listed as "3" on the card.  the back gets it right:
except that corey seager (and wil myers) should be tied for "9", not "8". keep trying topps!

and here's joe kelly's card:
that's more like typical heritage.

here's brandon lowe turning two
on a card i picked up for my double play collection.

this last one is not from sportlots, but rather ebay. steve garvey heritage real one auto!
it was a huge miss, in my opinion, for garvey to not have been included in last year's set given 1971 was his rookie card year, but he's here now! there is, of course, a red auto version that has yet to appear on the secondary market (as far as i've seen). he also has an auto-relic card numbered to 25 of which i have only seen one example so far. pricey, too! here's the back:
pretty much the same as his 1972 card, except for the number and the text at the bottom margin. very happy that these were the first 2021 heritage cards i've acquired! i'm sure i will be showing more when they arrive!

18 comments:

  1. I was bummed that Garvey no longer has any sort of season or career record for the Dodgers, that I recall, that would list him on a team lader type card.

    Good for you on the Heritage. I am unwilling to pay what they are going for right now, and perhaps I will regret it, but the stupidity for new cards right now is down right pissing me off! $60 for Victor Gonzalez autos, $100+ for McKinstry autos. Really? Any Garvey auto /25 would be a $40 card in most markets prior to this year, yet his heritage au/relic is selling for $`150+. What is wrong with people? They will be crying when nobody wants to pay half of what they paid when it comes time to sell.

    The red ink is numbered to 72, but I bet the first several will sell for way too much as well. A /75 Garvey auto is maybe a $15, but not in this set, I can guarantee that! This is a more popular set, but still...I am about ready to throw in the towel for good finally. Maybe just stick with older, oddball stuff.

    I see you are winning several of the Lumber Kings stuff. Good Luck with that stuff. I doubt I'll win any, unless it is by accident, but I have tossed out bids on some of it, just to see what happens. I have hated that stuff since it was first released (logoless, photoless GU cards).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look of some of the leaf lumber cards. My line is drawn somewhere between them and the bar. I won't touch that crap.

      Delete
    2. Ah, The Bar. I have some of it, but this last year they just crapped out a bunch of junk. Pure garbage. Lots of crapola gets released when the money is flowing.

      Delete
  2. See what I mean. Donruss /75 auto $30 OBO...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Garvey-2003-Donruss-Team-Heroes-Autograph-11-75/233953310416?hash=item3678b436d0:g:XccAAOSweURgaMn2

    Heritage au /72 $250 OBO? Is Heritage really that much better, or is this guy really just that crazy (actually it will be the buyer who is the crazy one)...https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEVE-GARVEY-2021-HERITAGE-RED-ON-CARD-AUTOGRAPH-46-72/224411200573?hash=item343ff32c3d:g:tQ4AAOSwcW9gaPmN

    Then there is this 21 Topps gold au, /25 for $100??? This market is just stupid right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-2021-LIMITED-AUTO-08-25-STEVE-GARVEY-70YA-SG-70-Years-Of-Baseball/353442713813?hash=item524ad3d0d5:g:qoYAAOSwzlpgX7Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw these including the red auto but didn't bother to update the post regarding it. Will be interesting to see if it sells.

      Delete
  3. I just got my hobby box of 2021 Topps Heritage earlier today. I'm very, very happy with my box but as usual, Topps could have done it better. But I do love card #1 so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you post what you found in your box?

      Delete
  4. I should probably get some Heritage on Sportlots or Card Barrel some time this year, as I like how it looks this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good strategy for picking up base singles.

      Delete
  5. Kudos to Topps for producing that gorgeous card #1. And that Garvey autograph is awesome too. I've always enjoyed the Heritage Real One autographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one other heritage real one I think, and oddly it's davey lopes from 2014.

      Delete
    2. I love them and am disappointed that the Garvey card falls on the Bizaro World year we are having. As I said before, this card is not a $70-100 card outside of right now in bizaro-world. The red inks should be $50 or less in my opinion (72 copes is a $20 or less card normally), especially when the product is being actively ripped. When they all get snatched up, it gets harder to find, but I have been adding older real one's for the last several years at reasonable prices for a lot of Dodgers.

      Delete
  6. The Betts IA recreating the Wills is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came to tell you I laughed out loud when I read the title to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even put the Betts/Wills connection together. Seems so obvious now! Also I'm gonna have to track down a copy of that Lowe double dip, hadn't seen that one till this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't looked at all of the in action cards - let me know if you find another dp!

      Delete