Sunday, January 30, 2022

'ello joe, whaddaya know?

i think i have mentioned before that when i first started following baseball, the expos' logo confused me. i thought it said "ello" or "elb" before eventually learning or being told that it was a multi-colored "m". i've also heard that "elb" might be correct, in reference to "expos league baseball", but that seems forced. thankfully, there is a copy of a press clipping here that i assume legitimately records the story behind the logo and its colors. it certainly would have helped me if there were a symmetrical white dot in the blue curl of the "m", although that would have strengthened my belief in the "ello" theory.

whatever it is, the logo shows up three times on joe hesketh's 1989 donruss card
which i only saw for the first time a few months ago. i recently acquired this card for my dodger stadium collection, as hesketh is standing with the stadium club windows behind him. 

seeing hesketh in dodger stadium will always bring to mind his home plate collision with mike scioscia that ended his 1985 season. that play took place in montreal, but you can understand regardless the dodger connection that this card brings to mind.

8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I thought it was a JB for a long time... but I totally see ello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i see the jb but i hadn't seen it that way before.

      Delete
  2. I always thought it said Ello. Not a very successful design. I also didn't know the Brewers logo was supposed to be MB until I was an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was in college when i learned about the brewer logo. mind was blown.

      Delete
  3. Hesketh was one of the few players from Western NY that I remember making it to the majors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting how geography plays in to how certain players are remembered.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of Expo logos on one card. Has anyone determined the record, for a card featuring a single player?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would guess there is a card out there with four logos - card design, hat, jersey, and maybe a jacket or patch

      Delete