Monday, January 10, 2022

a classic to keep

i recently plucked a card from one of my monster boxes to place in my more permanent collection:
that's a 2003 upper deck sweet spot classic don baylor classic greats autograph. no fading!

i pulled that card from a box back in 2003, but relegated it to that monster box for over 18 years. i decided to move it to my "meaningful or just because" mini-collection because it is the only pack-pulled autograph of baylor i have ever found on my own, and because he was my first favorite non-dodger.

baylor was one of the first guys i sent some cards to when i first began ttm collecting. he obliged my request which was awesome. i know he has other certified autographs out there, and i am keeping my eyes out for a 2013 topps archives all-time fan favorites autograph that uses the 1979 design - that was peak baylor greatness as he won the al mvp that year.

anyway, i am glad to have this card in its proper spot in my collection. who knows what else i will find tucked away in that same monster box?

11 comments:

  1. Nice! If that's the kind of stuff you have laying around in your monster boxes, then you need to ship them over my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha. down to one monster box of non-dodger miscellaneous stuff from around 2002-2008.

      Delete
  2. Didn't he have the hbp record for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second that! Don Baylor didn't play long for the Twins but for us fans he sure made an impact. Super nice guy to meet, and super cool card to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i never met the man but he was guaranteed pennant for three years in the 80s with the red sox, twins, and a's

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you and I have some things in common. We both like our autographs of hall of famers. And now it seems like we both have boxes filled with stuff that we sometimes go back into and find cool hidden treasures. Very nice Baylor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks fuji. i have a feeling your boxes have a bit more treasure in them than mine

      Delete
  5. I think I'd like to see what else is in these hidden away monster boxes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've got at least one more post in the hopper, but i am sure there will be more

      Delete
  6. To me, any auto wouldn't be languishing in a monster box. Glad you rescued him!

    ReplyDelete