Friday, January 14, 2022

(ebay) bucks for lux

when it comes to picking up a baseball card that i want, i often have very little patience. some of that stems from the scarcity of certain cards - who knows when the next one will be offered up for sale - but for the mass produced cards, i still sometimes don't wait too long after adding one of them to my most wanted list.

this card
a 2020 topps gavin lux short print photo variation, never formally made my "nefarious nine", but it was certainly one of my most desired cards since i first learned about it in early 2020.  i didn't add it to my collection until just after the new year.

now, for most of that time, my patience was forced by the crazy prices this card commanded (although that didn't stop me from chasing the crazy yasiel puig photo variations back in 2013) prior to and during the 2020 season. as a variant rookie card of a touted dodger prospect, it was quite pricey. even in 2021, it was still going for a larger sum than i wanted to pay. towards the end of last year, a few copies were posted with decent buy it now prices. however, i still waited.

i waited until my ebay bucks (earned in the last quarter of the year) were posted to my account and then bought this card for "free".  in the past, i would have tried to get another one for my double play collection, and another for my dodger stadium collection. heck, this card could also fit in my memorial collection as both lux and giant mike yastrzemski are wearing patches for don newcombe and peter magowan/willie mccovey respectively. but i won't be doing that - not this time. i guess i've mellowed in addition to becoming a bit more patient.

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine there's many other cards out there that hit so many of your collections on a single, tidy card. Glad you found one at a decent price! (I shuddered a bit at the Puig SP mania. I remember those times all too clearly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if only clayton kershaw had been in the background this would have hit the lurker collection, too.

      Delete
  2. I totally forgot about eBay Bucks. Guess I missed out. It's always nice to add a card you really want to your collection for free. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they changed the rules so they don't accumulate with every purchase. now it's just during random timeframes.

      Delete