Sunday, January 23, 2022

2131 was a big deal to me

i wasn't going to leave baseball, but i certainly understood why some fans were ready to give up on the sport because of the 1994 players' strike that ultimately cost the 1994 postseason and a slew of games in both 1994 and 1995. no, i was still a fan but definitely a bit cautious in jumping back in full throttle.

at some point on the evening of september 6, 1995, i was all the way back and then some.  that was the night that cal ripken jr broke lou gehrig's consecutive game streak.
the game was televised, and there was a lot of pomp. ripken hit a home run in the fourth, and when the game became official at the end of the top of the fifth, the place exploded. the 2130 banner changed to 2131 and a record i thought would never be broken was shattered. ripken took his famous run around the stadium and it was just a great night to be a baseball fan.

i've written many times about my affinity for the consecutive games streak which was borne from my fandom of steve garvey and spread to lou gehrig and eventually cal ripken jr. the streak and that particular game and fan experience prompted me to add the 1996 topps card shown above to my "meaningful and just because" mini-collection.

anybody else remember that night?

18 comments:

  1. I do actually. Watched it in a college dormitory lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have cable at the time, so I had to rely on highlights after the fact, but I do remember the moment. I actually saw Ripken play in Minnesota that year- must have been in July. I'll have to see if I still have the stub somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i saw ripken here at the dome sometime during his streak but it was after he had broken the record. i missed out on his 3000 hit game in mpls though unfortunately

      Delete
  3. I sure do remember it. It was the biggest event that I had designed for my newspaper's sports cover to that point, and the first time I received a compliment for one of my designs from our notorious editor. I think I still have the edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would definitely be an edition worth saving.

      Delete
  4. That's a cool card. I didn't catch the game but remember the run around the stadium. Later on I had a chance to meet and get a ball signed, he was great with the fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to hear he was good with the fans. it seemed like he would be as much as one of his stature could be.

      Delete
  5. I definitely remember the hype around the event... but I've watched the highlights a few times over the years which messes with my memory. At this point, I think I watched it, but there's a chance I'm just remember the highlight film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. media does tend to manipulate memories - you are not alone fuji!

      Delete
  6. This was a great moment. I was in college and put off studying and doing classwork for a few hours to watch this game. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful moment. I too was in the college dorms and was watching the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i remember an experience i had in college watching game 7 of the 1991 world series. it seemed like a lot of things shut down - club meetings were canceled - so people could watch the game.

      Delete
  8. Wish I had memories of that night. I'm sure my dad - being the baseball fan he is - had the game on at the time, but being only three years old at the time I sadly don't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok youngster. i might have recorded the broadcast, but you would need a vhs player to watch it.

      Delete
  9. I was 13 at the time, and had very little interest in baseball at that point. I probably saw highlights on the news, but have absolutely no recollection of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was one of the ones who quit watching baseball in 1994 but it wasn't until the McGwire/Sosa HR race in 1998 that got me back in but I did tune in to 1 game in that time. This game, when Cal broke the records. I couldn't miss that. I can't lie, I teared up watching him going around the stadium.

    ReplyDelete