Wednesday, October 27, 2021

more adventures in team collecting

i've had my share of card purchases gone awry as far as picking up a card i didn't need thanks to faulty memory or an updated want list. these purchases frustrate me a bit, but it's my own fault so i don't get too worked up about it. as a team collector, there are other things to be frustrated about, especially with so many card sets and the reliance on online checklists. wrigley wax noted recently that he was duped by an online checklist into purchasing a couple of non-cub cards, and i've had the same experience with a few cards of players like rick monday and gary sheffield.

conversely, sometimes i will find cards not on the dodger checklist that belong in the dodger collection. many of these are o-pee-chee-esque cards as i call them - dodgers in all but team name only. case in point, this 2004 playoff prestige kevin brown card
it is assigned to the yankees as far as the official checklist goes which makes sense. i looked it up because the cards in this set are numbered sequentially by team and there was a gap in the dodger numbering. i like to have these cards in the dodger collection, too. this is just my preference and i don't blame the checklist makers.

similarly, i recently added this greg gagne card to finish off my 1996 fleer team set
gagne is shown as a royal, but identified as a dodger on the card, so the fleer checklist lists him as such. this was an easy card to target as a result.

and then there are the cards that are on the team checklist that arrive from sportlots sight unseen and leave me wondering why they are on my dodger checklist.  like this 2006 bowman heritage greg maddux card:
it looks like a cubs card, but it turns out that it's only because it is replicating a design from 1949. turn the card over, and you will see that it is, in fact, a dodger card
however, i do get frustrated with all of the parallels issued these days. i found this 2018 topps cody bellinger highlights card
in my dupes box. turns out it's a blue parallel and not a duplicate at all. check another one off the team checklist.

these days, even though i will never give up on the dodger collecting, i am more focused on my steve garvey collection which has challenges of its own, but at least i don't need to think about his team affiliation.

6 comments:

  1. This is why I always keep "mismatched" cards around for team collectors, because there's a chance they didn't show up on that team's checklist in any given set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I find that when I am rooting around in my trade/dupes box I find stuff that actually belongs in the MAIN collection all the time.

    ReplyDelete