Monday, June 7, 2021

dodger card? braves card? both? neither?

it's time for a poll. 

here's the rookie of the year card from 2021 topps heritage
i picked up a copy to put in my dodger collection, as the award is named in honor of jackie robinson, and the plaque says so right at the top.  upon closer inspection, the award in question belongs to ronald acuna, jr. any brave or acuna collectors out there that consider this card one of their own? am i wrong to add it to my dodger collection? i believe the mvp card shows mookie betts' award, but he was with the red sox then so i have no interest in that card.

in the 1972 topps set, this award was the ford c. frick award, and the nameplate was blank. the nameplates on the other awards in that set were blank, too.

here's the back of the 2021 rookie of the year card, with a truncated list of previous winners.
these are the last 25 winners. the 1972 card listed the winners from 1947 through 1971, which means the winners from 1972 through 1995 lack representation. i was happy to see that at least one of the dodger rookies of the year from the 1990's streak was included - good to see you todd hollandsworth!

so, what do you think? dodger card? braves card? both? neither?

13 comments:

  1. I would go with neither. These are filler cards at best. I know Heritage likes to respect history, but the 1972 set had almost 800 cards instead of 500. These award cards and 75% of the "In Action" cards should have been on the chopping block in favor of more player cards.

    I guess I could see a Braves collector claiming it as a Braves card, but I wouldn't claim it as a Rockies card if for some reason they used Jason Jennings as the example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like that topps included these cards in heritage this year, but i understand your point. this is the only one of the award cards i am interested in so i do agree that they are filler.

      Delete
  2. If you have to categorize it by a team, I'd say Braves, but actually it's nothing, one of those extra cards I would put at the bottom of the stack as a kid.

    For another "is this a Dodger card?" post, see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i used to have a 75 topps rod carew miscut that featured the "dodgers" top of von joshua's card. i think i sent it to jedi jeff who collects miscuts.

      Delete
  3. If I pulled it or someone sent it to me... and I was a Braves or Dodgers fan, I'd add it to the collection. But I don't think I'd go out of my way to chase it down unless I was building the actual set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i chased it down on sportlots to fill out an order with the intent of adding it to my team collection. however, i don't know that i would send a duplicate to another dodger collector unless they were working on the complete heritage set.

      Delete
  4. I'd say neither. It goes with commissioner cards and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fair enough. i have no interest in a rob manfred card so topps can keep issuing those as ssp.

      Delete
  5. If someone was a hardcore Ronald Acuna Jr. collector, maybe I could see it. (I'd also feel sorry for them since Acuna's head appears on the back of all the candy lid inserts too.) I couldn't justify it for team collectors though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've sondered if any jeter or griffey collectors added half of the 2008 ud goudey sets to their player collections. i have a line with garvey, and it moves back and forth a bit from time to time, but i'm not sure how far i would go with something like that.

      Delete
  6. I decided that the World Series MVP Award card is going in my Willie Mays binder, so I can see calling this one a Dodger card. Then again, that one actually has "Willie Mays" in the name of the card at the top, while this one just says "Rookie Of The Year". So maybe not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say either. When you have it in the binder you'll more easily see the name Jackie Robinson than Ronald Acuna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I classified it as a "neither" in my own collection - went into my box of multi-team league leader cards, combo cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete