Monday, November 22, 2021

my favorite cards of the year - 2021 edition

i recently introduced my mini collection focusing on my favorite cards from each year that i've been a collector. the basic gist is that i wanted to create a space for the cards that i most appreciated having in my collection in the year that they were released. these were cards that i acquired in the year that they were issued, and that i considered to be my favorites at the time. i have disallowed (most) cards that are already in other mini collections in order to avoid having a mini collection consisting of more steve garvey, double plays, and dodger stadium cards.

i was sort of waiting for update to come out, as my favorite card from 2020 came from that set, but i had my mind made up pretty early in the year. there was nothing in update that changed my mind, although i am very happy to see a dusty baker astros card (autographed only, unfortunately) in this year's archives release. of course, my favorite card from 2021 is my covid-19 vaccination record card, but that doesn't qualify for this collection.

favorite non-dodger card: topps 70 years of topps cal ripken jr chrome
ah, the often ignored 1978 design! it could not be avoided with topps' 70 years of topps insert sets this year, and ripken's card from series 2 was fantastic! i could definitely see it as part of the '78 team set next to action shots on the cards of ken singleton and rudy may. this "chrome" parallel made me long to see the design elevated in 2027 heritage, but alas along came fanatics.

favorite dodger card: topps heritage world series champions
how could this card not have been my favorite dodger card of the year?!  i just wish topps had used a more traditional team photo like they did for the red sox in 2019 and nationals in 2020. this photo just features the guys who could get to the mound the quickest. still, it's my favorite dodger card of the year!

that's a wrap on this series - let's see what 2022 will bring!

3 comments:

  1. The Ripken is a nice looking card... but the Dodger celebration card is my favorite. It's a great looking celebration card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am glad the dodgers won in 2020 so that they were given this card. no such luck for the braves with 2022 heritage unless topps goes against the historical grain.

      Delete