Tuesday, March 29, 2022

jim bunning is in my hall of famer collection

i mentioned the possibility of it happening in my post about andruw jones and his hall of fame candidacy and i actually decided to do it. i've added jim bunning to my hall of famer collection, with this card as his entry:
that's a 2002 topps finest finest moments autograph card. here's the back:
the back tells the full story - bunning's second career no-hitter was a perfect game, and not only was it the first in the national league, it was the first regular season perfecto since 1922. of course, don larsen threw a perfect game in the 1956 world series for the yankees against the dodgers.

speaking of the dodgers, that's the reason bunning is in this collection. i noted in that andruw jones post that with wilhelm being added to the collection, bunning was the only hall of famer who had appeared with the dodgers in the modern era that wasn't a part of my collection. i don't have any real connection to him other than a custom (action image variation!) that i made and a ttm success from the then senator from kentucky. still, my collection feels a little more complete with bunning's card in it.

4 comments:

  1. Great card. I have a couple of signatures from this set. Love the shine.
    Bunning was one of those guys I wanted Topps to include in their Fan Favorites autograph set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it's an attractive card. bunning looks like he signed mostly for upper deck and donruss/panini with just a couple fleer, topps, and leaf cards. there is another topps issue from 2002 in addition to the finest card i have that looks like it could have been from that year's archives release.

      Delete
  2. I've got one of the Cooperstown auto's. It's okay, but if I ever had the chance to upgrade it on the cheap, I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had my eye on one of the cooperstown cards but this one popped up with an earlier (better) signature with the full license, etc. it cost about the same as a blaster all told.

      Delete