Thursday, March 3, 2022

come rain or come shine

i think by now we can agree that variations are pretty useless. the first one i remember was the 1979 topps bump wills card saying he was a blue jay. it was a novelty and interesting and unexpected. these days, there are so many variations, it is a surprise when a base card isn't given the treatement.

back in 2003, topps was variant crazy, at least with bowman heritage and topps heritage, and they also included a few alternative images in their gallery hall of fame edition set. here are a couple, side by side with the base versions, that i found in my long ignored monster boxes. first up is joe morgan:
it's a bright, sunshiny day on the left, but looks like rain in morgan's alternative universe.  lou brock
got a similar treatment, although the worst part of the variation is that topps replaced his pillbox hat!

i didn't seek these out; rather i bought a box of the stuff. i did go and find the duke snider, don sutton and tommy lasorda variations, the last two of which featured fully erased backgrounds. i haven't looked to see what variations lurk in 2022 topps yet, but i know they are there.

8 comments:

  1. I wasn't really interested in parallels until Matthew Boyd got to Detroit, and then I became obsessed with getting as many as I could, especially his 2021 Topps card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can get behind certain parallels but variations like these don't impress me much

      Delete
  2. Just commenting to applaud your post title - one of my all time favorite songs. My wife and I actually have "Come Rain" and "Come Shine" on our wedding bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's really cool. probably my favorite ray charles vocal is on his version of this song.

      Delete
    2. That's a good one. I'm partial to the BB King/Eric Clapton version.

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of these Gallery variations, but I must've gotten them by accident because I know I've never sought one out. I kinda like complete photo variations, but I agree that stuff like this probably shouldn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this set. Picked it up with all 74 variants for a little over the price of two blasters ten years ago. I immediately placed it into a binder for easy viewing. Although... the binder is buried somewhere in boxes :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. They gotta easily mark somewhere on the card that one is a variation...it can't just be some serial number in small print.

    ReplyDelete