Saturday, March 26, 2022

are you an optimist or a cynic?

i received this 2003 fleer platinum new to me chin-feng chen card
from night owl in the last batch of cards he sent my way. i think it might be a short print, even. regardless, it shows what i at first believed to be a defensive miscue which is a rarity on cardboard. 

when i first looked at the card, i thought that chen had attempted to short hop the ball missed and it hit off of his arm and is seen ricocheting away. i looked at it again as i was putting it in my 2003 dodger binder and thought that maybe the ball was still on its way down and that he has a chance to make the catch. i would guess that what i saw the second time around is correct as there is no disturbance of the grass shown, which would seem to indicate that the ball hasn't hit the ground yet.

i guess i was just trending negative when i first saw the card which is strange because receiving cards in the mail is always a good thing!

6 comments:

  1. I try to be optimistic... but I know I have my moments where the cup is definitely half-empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes the cup is just twice as big as it needs to be.

      Delete
  2. Looks like he might be about to trap the ball. Certainly his glove is at an odd angle. I wonder if this was possibly a posed shot, with someone just tossing the ball from a few feet away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could be. there are plenty of dodger prospect cards featuring them posed at the wall for a catch.

      Delete
  3. I try to be an optimist for other peoples sake, especially when it comes to offering encouragement; but when regarding my person, or the future, I'm a pessimist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've been there. hopefully things start looking up as the weather improves.

      Delete