Friday, March 11, 2022

card show jitters

i spent $35 at the card show last weekend and came away with 86 cards. the majority of those cards will end up in the collections of others, but i did find some for me to keep. so, in a deviation from my post-card show posts of the recent past, i am only going to show you the cards that made the cut for my collection.

first up is a 2017 topps gold parallel card of andrew toles
i think this seller was a rookie hoarder as there were a bunch of rookie cards from recent topps flagship and update releases. these were cards of rookies who wound up not panning out, and so their cards were released to the bargain boxes.

i was actually surprised to see that i needed this card:
a 2020 topps update jackie robinson "a numbers game" insert. usually i seek out cards dealing with retired numbers like this, but i guess i hadn't done so with this one. 

not sure if number 50 will be retired by the dodgers, but i did add this 2020 topps mookie betts insert:
it's from the 2030 insert set.

from 2019, here's a 1985 design card of corey seager:
i think this is the last of the 1985 cards i need. of course, i thought i had all of the 1994 pinnacle dodgers until i saw this card in one of the boxes:
it did not look familar to me at all, which doesn't mean as much as it used to. still, i kept the card in my stack and it turned out that it was a need. i guess this was part of a box set and not an insert to the main pinnacle set? there's a mike piazza card in the set, too, which has now been added to my want list. so, this resulted in a net addition to my want list. that's not how it's supposed to work!

i didn't really need this 1996 leaf preferred hideo nomo steel card
but i bought it anyway. it replaced the one that was in my collection already since that one was missing the protective film. i like to disobey the directive on the card and not remove protective film.

i thought i would be adding this 1995 score delino deshields gold rush parallel
to my double play collection, but it turned out to be a team set need. i am annoyed that i left the brett butler hall of gold card in the box as it turns out i need that one as well. maybe next month....

here's a 1995 score gold rush card that did go to the dp collection - luis lopez
who was joined there by a 2020 topps robinson cano insert:

i grabbed this 1994 ted williams willie mays card
for my "name/number on the back" mini-collection, and it becomes one of my favorites in that collection.

i found one vladimir guerrero card i needed
from 2020 topps update

and i was really happy to find this 2015 topps update yasmany tomas card
because it celebrates his rookie debut which just happened to occur on jackie robinson day. that means it is the rare non-sp card showing a player wearing 42. it goes in to my "42" collection as a result.

it was a very crowded show even though i arrived shortly before it officially opened. it was the first show i attended sans mask - a move i regretted not because of possible exposure to covid, but because a couple guys that sidled up to me at the bargain boxes reeked. one guy must have smoked a carton of cigarettes already that morning and the other guy had to have crapped himself.  i could have used the filtering effect of the mask at that point. i'm already looking forward to next month's show, and i think i may bring the mask in just in case.

ps - rip to odalis perez. he had flashes of ace-ness with the dodgers, and once gave us a ball at a game for my friend's kid. that act has never been forgotten.

10 comments:

  1. The Robinson and Vlad would be my picks here.

    Do you go to card shows in dive bars? Ha.

    Glad Odalis is remembered for doing something nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this show is in a strip mall in an old big lots store space. odalis seemed like a good guy. he was chatting with a guy sitting next to me in our seats adjacent to the dugout and i asked for a ball. no problem.

      Delete
  2. Loved the comment about the stinky card show attendees. I've actually had to walk away at least once because of the same issue. I wonder if it's something they do on purpose, so they can have the bargain boxes to themselves.

    P.S. I'm with you on keeping the peel intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is some nefarious methodology to clear out a space in front of the bargain bins.

      Delete
  3. I always seem to attract the public farters. I guess there's just something about me that says "Come fart right next to me!" :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i withstood the stench of the smoker, but the other guy made me decide not to look through the boxes any longer.

      Delete
  4. I'm headed to my first card show in a while next week - still gonna wear a mask if for no other reason than to help block out the, er, un-hygienic crowd that always seems to find me at shows.

    (I always remove the protective film on those steel cards!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smelly card show dwellers are such a drag. I've been itching to go to a chard show, but I'll have to remember that and be prepared if I do go, lol.

    I have fond memories of the Leaf Preferred Steel inserts. That set was so interesting to me as a 16 year-old, not just the inserts but the tiered SPs, die-cut parallels, and the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this guy had about 50 of them and i picked them all up at once - super heavy!

      Delete