Wednesday, December 22, 2021

is this retro?

steve garvey turns 73 years old today. he last played in the major leagues 34 years ago, which is certainly enough time for him to be consider "retro". that's how panini presented him in this year's donruss optic and national treasures releases.

garvey was included on the "retro series signature" checklist in optic, getting a base
and prizm card
here's the back, with some commentary on the guy who made me think more highly of hits than home runs
there is also a gold parallel
numbered to 10
which i was happy to acquire. i have no thoughts of buying the other versions - black finite 1/1 and gold vinyl 1/1 (both of which are on ebay now with ridiculous and high buy-it-nows, respectively) - in what was a surprisingly minimalistic parallel effort from panini.

as for national treasures, garvey was featured on a relic-only card, called "retro materials". i only have the base version
which is numbered to 99. there are a couple of parallels of this one - holo gold, holo silver, platinum blue 1/1, and printing plates - but i am content with one variety. of course the parallels aren't necessarily plain white swatches (i've seen a holo gold that looks like it had a piece of his warmup jacket that panini has been using for the last few years and a printing plate that had a bat piece) so never say never.

happy birthday to the garv! better to be considered retro than not considered at all, i guess.

6 comments:

  1. dang. it's been 34 years since garvey hung up his cleats? i feel hella old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate the term "retro". Oh, and those cards don't look very "retro" to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is retro even an abbreviation of? Retrospective?

      Delete
  3. I will take partial blame for the outrageous Garvey prices, as I have had a few bidding wars here and there, but frankly, I think the opening prices people are asking for his stuff is just plain stupid in a lot of cases. People see a few cards sell strongly and next thing you know, every Garvey card is GOLD! I have enjoyed collecting his stuff in a relatively competition free manner for years now (there has always been competition, but it was reasonable mostly), but that has changed. They think it is Omar Vizquel all over again, but it is not. I am still buying certain cards, but I am through going after it all finally. It took 2+ decades, but I have finally given in...

    I have the base and the "refractor",which I guess is the prizm parallel. I don't have the gold /10 and I agree with you on the gold and black 1/1s. Those people are DREAMING if they think they'll get those prices on an unlicensed POS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like someone but on the $300 1/1 today.

      Delete