Friday, December 31, 2021

a year in review

another year is about to enter the books, and i've got a simple one card post to see it out the door.  this is a 2008 topps chipper jones year in review insert
it was created to mark jones' achievement of passing dale murphy's mark as the atlanta franchise's all-time home run leader. jones hit two on july 5, 2007 - one from each side of the plate - to give him 372 career bombs as opposed to murphy's 371 that he hit as a brave.

the feat occurred at dodger stadium, and i have high confidence that this is a photo from the actual game, or at least dodger stadium from sometime in 2007. chipper is wearing the memorial patch that the team wore that year for johnny sain and lou burdette, and the yellow seats in the background are a pretty good giveaway. the digital scoreboard on the facade of the loge was fairly new at the time - maybe 2005?  at any rate, the card goes in my dodger stadium collection.

i also finally received my 2021 topps now world series champions card
that i bought because will smith's back was to the camera and you can kind of/sort of see the stitched memorials for hank aaron and phil niekro. i've updated a previous post that mentioned those memorials.

it's fitting that it's a couple of braves cards that finish off the year as they are the reigning world series champions. wait 'til next year - it's just four hours away!

happy new year!

9 comments:

  1. Happy new year! That's one more Topps Now card than I bought in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll see if I can match your 2021 total in 2022. Happy new year

      Delete
  2. I don't have anything against Chipper, but I'd rather have seen Dale keep his record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2022 will be a big year for you and your collection with all of those 2021 World Series highlight cards. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji it’s me - a dodger collector! Happy new year!

      Delete
    2. Sorry... I was half asleep. I think I had it in my mind that you were John from Johnny's Trading Spot. I guess I shouldn't comment in bed :D

      Delete