Thursday, December 31, 2020

my favorite cards of the year - 1987 edition

i recently introduced my mini collection focusing on my favorite cards from each year that i've been a collector. the basic gist is that i wanted to create a space for the cards that i most appreciated having in my collection in the year that they were released. these were cards that i acquired in the year that they were issued, and that i considered to be my favorites at the time. i have disallowed (most) cards that are already in other mini collections in order to avoid having a mini collection consisting of more steve garvey, double plays, and dodger stadium cards.

i was still buying cards from all three major manufacturers in 1987 - donruss, fleer, and topps - but not in the same quantities as the past few years. i completed all three sets, but there weren't really any cards that i was too excited about. i remember being in the lcs at one point during the season (likely around the all-star break) and seeing mark mcgwire's 1987 topps card in the display case. i asked the owner where that card came from, and he told me it was in the regular set. i went home and found that i had three or four of them. they had not made an impression on me at all, and i hadn't really looked through my cards for a while.

at any rate, i did still have a couple of cards that i liked more than others, and here they are.

favorite non-dodger card: topps rickey henderson turn back the clock
i was pleased to see the 'turn back the clock' subset return for a second year in a row. back in 1978, when i found out that there had been 'tbtc' cards in the 1977 set, i was a bit disappointed that they weren't included in the '78 set.  anyway, i had billy ball fever in 1982, and seeing rickey's card from that year reprinted made me a bit nostalgic.  rickey, of course, was a yankee in the 1987 set, and seeing him in the a's uniform brought back good memories of his 130-steal campaign and getting to see him play in person for the first time.  

favorite dodger card: topps maury wills turn back the clock
dodger cards were particularly boring in 1987. they had no 'rated rookie' in the donruss set, and there were no big players that i looked forward to finding in the update and traded sets. bill russell had his final tributes, and i have those in my final tribute collection. and so it was that the card i liked the most was maury wills'. it had been five years since i first saw the 1962 topps wills card in the kmart mvp set, and just under five years since i discovered that it was a 'card that should have been' but never was. i appreciated the fact that topps used it again in this set, marking it the third time it had been included in a set (the 1975 topps mvp subset was the first occurrence). it afforded me another wills card to include in my flagship dodger team collection, and for that i was grateful.

tonight, the clock turns to a new year - i am so ready for 2021! happy new year!

4 comments:

  1. Seeing as how this set is still really popular with a lot of collectors, I would expect no less than 10,000 views on this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think i would be ok without seeing the wood laminate borders ever again. happy new year jon!

      Delete
  2. I wonder where or even when I discovered that 1962 Topps Wills was a card that should have been, but never was. I'm sure it blew my mind. Happy New Years Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder why topps hasn't done it more often. Outside of the "lost cards" inserts in 2010 or 2011 I don't think they've done anything like it.

      Delete