Saturday, December 26, 2020

where did the summer go?

i had plans for summer 2020. i was going to kick it off with a run along pch in big sur and then meet up with friends. among other things, i had circled several baseball games on the calendar - the dodgers were coming to target field! - and had planned to catch a game in a couple of new stadiums to boot. and, there were plans to get to dodger stadium to check out the renovations and see a dodger home game for the first time since 2012.  well, we all know what happens when we make plans, especially in 2020.

instead, i stayed home and used some of the newfound time to go through neglected monster boxes of cards in my basement. the result was finding more cards for some of my mini collections. although i didn't make it to dodger stadium (or any stadium in 2020), i did find more cards to add to my dodger stadium collection. brace yourself - there are a lot of images in this post.

1995 pinnacle milt thompson
i was not sure that this photo came from dodger stadium, which is why it wasn't already in my mini collection. however, this summer i took a closer look and am pretty sure that it is given the fencing that existed in front of the speaker equipment. plus, what other stadium is more associated with beach balls than dodger stadium? finally, milt thompson did play center for the phillies in a game at dodger stadium in 1994 - one of the few times he played that position. i have never taken a beach ball to dodger stadium, but i have participated in knocking one around.

some cards i didn't find in my monster boxes, but rather went and bought duplicates of cards that were already in my dodger collection because they were good examples of dodger stadium goodness.

1971 dell's today stamps duke sims
1975 hostess steve garvey
that one is the third copy i have

1977 topps tom lasorda/dodgers checklist
1975 topps charlie hough
1975 topps lee lacy
1976 topps tommy john
those last four cards are also in my evolution of the 1978 topps dodgers collection. i've lost track of how many copies of each of them i have at this point.

back to the monster boxes to salvage more cards now.

1993 score bob ojeda
1996 topps stadium club todd worrell
1998 upper deck todd worrell
that one could also fit in my lurker collection, thanks to lee smith making an appearance.

1999 upper deck eric karros (back)
2012 panini cooperstown tom lasorda
2013 panini cooperstown duke snider
2001 upper deck sp legendary cuts tommy davis
i've looked at those last two cards a bunch of times, but it didn't click for me that the photos were from dodger stadium until this year. full disclosure - i forgot to scan the davis card so i pulled the image from the internet.

and here are a couple from 2015 topps stadium club - clayton kershaw
and deion sanders
the yasiel puig card from that set has been firmly entrenched in the dodger stadium card collection since i first laid eyes on it, but i failed to add these two until just recently.

i was digging through my old player collections and found another 1990 upper deck larry walker rookie card
that features dodger stadium images on the front and back
yes - i put two copies of this card in my dodger stadium collection.

more from early 90's upper deck - 1990 neal heaton
todd frohwirth
tommy herr
and 1991 freddie benavides
a few more from my abandoned player collections -1992 fleer ultra award winners ozzie smith
1994 upper deck orel hershiser, who's warming up in the bullpen
1994 upper deck collector's choice fred mcgriff
1999 topps ryan klesko (back)
2001 topps randy johnson league leaders (trust me, dodger stadium is in the background)
2002 donruss todd helton
here's a duo from a 2002 topps total stockpile i had - adam eaton and kaz sasaki
both with mariano duncan lurking in the background.

i dutifully completed most of the early 2000s fleer retired player sets, and found a dodger stadium card in my dupes - donn clendenon from 2002 fleer fall classics
i also found an extra 2013 topps chasing history reggie jackson insert card for the collection
and a 2016 topps stadium club phil niekro card
for the collection. that niekro would have been better off being shown in this post, but oh well.

here's the most recent pick-up for this collection, cody bellinger's card from 2020 topps stadium club chrome
it doesn't scan the best, but it gives a good view of dodger stadium behind bellinger and (i think) alex verdugo.

the last card for this post is actually from a pack in 2020 - a gypsy queen will smith card
that features smith pitching in dodger stadium as a brave, which didn't actually happen in 2020. maybe next year.

11 comments:

  1. This was my first summer in 20 years not going to Yankee Stadium. In the old days a beach ball probably would have gotten popped intentionally before it got too far. Nowadays it would probably go over better. I've never seen one at a game though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finally make it to the Bronx for a game I will definitely leave the beach ball at home.

      Delete
  2. I've been to plenty of Dodger games at Dodger Stadium but I would never take a beach ball. When I go to a baseball game, I focus on the baseball game and just ignore the beach balls.

    I love all of the cards that show Dodger Stadium. And I can't wait for fans to be allowed back at Dodger Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to see fans in the stands soon, as long as it is safe.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you, and everyone else, will have better luck with their plans this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depending on how things fit our schedule... my buddy and I would have gone down to LA and either went to Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium in 2020 to catch a game. We probably would have met up with SumoMenkoMan too and hit up Frank & Sons and some card shops.

    By the way... that Hostess Garvey card is fantastic. It reminds me of the 1976 Hostess Reggie Jackson card that features him at the Oakland Coliseum. There's just something special about a team's star with a famous part of their home stadium in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be part of that excursion to a game and frank & sons, especially of you add a stop at Phillipe's!

      Delete
    2. How often do you come out to California? It'd be awesome to meet up. Let me know if you ever visit the Bay Area. As soon as things are safe, I could take you to a flea market, some card shops, or a card show.

      Delete
    3. before the pandemic, i probably got out there at least once a year, and went through sfo some of the times in recent years. i will definitely let you know the next time i do.

      Delete
    4. Awesome. Yeah, keep me posted and I'll let you know about Southern California. Not sure if I mentioned this... but I have relatives in St. Paul. My family used to visit every five years or so... but I never went. The dream is to one day go there and see my cousin and his family... plus attend a Twins game.

      Delete