Saturday, December 19, 2020

a card that reminds me of christmas

i am sure that in the past, many of you made the annual pilgrimage to see mall santa and have your child(ren)'s picture taken. i am also sure that many of you were offended at the prices required for said photo(s).  this 1984 fleer bill madlock card,
which uses a photo taken by the fleer photographer who is clearly not the photographer who set up the blue screen behind madlock and then had the third baseman pose for them, reminds me of my not-so stealthy attempts to catch my son on santa's lap without having to pay for the official photo.

i wonder if the fleer photographer was berated and run off the site like i was by santa's helpers.

5 comments:

  1. Ha, great observation on the Mad Dog!

    Now we gotta try to find the photo that was being taken, assuming it was ever used somewhere. Maybe in the 1984 Pirates yearbook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty sweet Madlock card. I'm surprised I don't remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago, my friend had me stand off to the side and take photos of her daughters with Santa. I was so embarrassed... I told her I'd just pay next time. Lol. Pretty sure she took me out to lunch to make up for it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never noticed that before. I love early 80s Fleer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not having any kids, or being around anyone who does have them, I never knew that stealth Santa photos were a thing. It is kind of funny though :)

    ReplyDelete