Thursday, February 3, 2022

shine on you crazy diamonds

every once in a while, there comes a parallel that catches my eye and inspires me to complete a dodger team set of it. 2007 topps chrome blue refractors and 2011 topps chrome atomic refractors are two good examples of such parallels for which i have completed the dodger team sets.

i can check another one off the list, and it's the 2011 topps platinum diamond anniversary parallels. with this clayton kershaw card
and this update matt kemp card
i have completed the flagship series 1 and 2 and the update series team sets of this particular parallel!

full disclosure, i still need the legends variants from series 1 and 2 (i already have the update sandy koufax sp) but i will call this complete even without those short prints.

while i was looking for those two cards, i took the opportunity to add a couple similarly themed cards from 2011 topps.  this andre ethier card
was part of a wrapper redemption offer, and this jackie robinson card
was a target exclusive. there are similar ones that were exclusive to walmart, and they are blue-themed.  there is a chance that we get a bunch of diamond themed cards again in 2026 if fanatics recognizes topps' 75th anniversary as it looks like diamonds and gold are the themes of that particular event. i'll keep my eye out for a decent parallel set in the meantime.

10 comments:

  1. I've accumulated all those, probably back in 2011 or 2012. That's when I was very into the parallel chase. Those days are gone pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the 2014 red hot foil was the last parallel team set i consciously set out to complete.

      Delete
  2. I really liked these Platinum Diamond parallels ten years ago. But after a few years of Topps shoving ten to fifteen different parallels down our throats... I've kind of lost that loving feeling. That being said... I'll still grab these and usually any Topps parallel I find sitting in dime boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my approach now is more card based - like the 2017 topps chrome joc pederson parallel chase.

      Delete
  3. The diamonds are probably one of the best parallel sets of my lifetime. Always pick 'em up when I see some cheap in a dime box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i told myself i wouldn't - because who needs more mariners parallels - but i grabbed a few from a 5/1 box yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on completing a parallel team set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Diamond Anniversary cards, congrats on completing the team set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite my dwindling interest in shiny cards, I still really like these. I was even trying to collect the set at one time, but am now content to just pick up the ones that I find interesting, some times in multiples :)

    ReplyDelete