Friday, February 11, 2022

keeping young

i think it was in 1979 when my aunt came to visit us. she lived in canada, and we had visited her and other relatives the previous year. she came bearing gifts, handing over three baseball cards to me that she had found at an antique or flea market. they were the first 1960 fleer cards i had ever seen.

the players were mel ott, tris speaker, and cy young.  of those three, today only the young card remains in my collection.
i couldn't wait to return to canada the following summer and check out that antique fair. as i recall, i didn't find any cards but i did buy a copy of x-men #130 - the debut of the dazzler!

i don't really regret not keeping the ott or speaker cards, but the cy young card now exists permanently in my "meaningful and just because" mini-collection, representing the kindness of my aunt in picking something out for me that she knew i would appreciate.

8 comments:

  1. I was just going through my Cleveland binder the other day and saw this card. Those '60s Fleer sets are excellent and don't get nearly enough credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1960 fleer cards are pretty much the forefathers to all sets featuring retired players, right?

      Delete
    2. I would agree with that statement. If I was so inclined to put together another set it would definitely be an early '60s Fleer set.

      Delete
    3. i bet the 1960 set looks great all assembled together.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. no. my brother collected x-men so at one point i gave it to him. i am almost certain that he sold his collector over a decade ago but i will ask him - now i am curious.

      Delete
  3. Do you still have your X-Men #130? Do you still collect comics? Glad you still have the Young as part of your "meaningful" collection. One of my biggest regrets is trading a card my aunt bought me when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't have that comic anymore, but i do still have my complete new teen titans collection through 1988 or so that includes dc presents #26 plus pretty much any crossover they did. that includes the batman issue that introduced jason todd as robin. i have a few others, too - the original watchmen series and the dark knight graphic novel. i also have a large mad magazine collection from my youth. the last comic i bought was probably the reprint hardcover issue of alan moore's swamp thing american gothic. i had given my original comics from that run to my brother, too.

      Delete