Tuesday, February 8, 2022

hoyt wilhelm is in my hall of famer collection

i recently sent a hoyt wilhelm card to nick at dime boxes. when i came across the 1969 topps card (with a 1969 topps decal stuck to it) i was trying to picture in my head the wilhelm card that was in my hall of famer collection. when i got home, i realized that hoyt wasn't in my hall of famer collection!

i quickly remedied that, picking up this card for $20 on ebay:
that's a 2002 topps archives certified autograph issue card. here's the back:
i am guessing that i passed on including wilhelm initially because of the lack of certified autograph cards - i think he only has this one and one from 2001 topps archves, neither of which are too appealing to me. his 2001 card is a reprint of his 1952 card (showing him with the giants) and this one is obviously his 1964 card. 2001 topps archives, which focused on rookie and final year cards from the topps library, also featured wilhelm's 1972 card showing him with the dodgers. i would have much rather had that card as an option for this collection, but topps chose his "rookie" card for him to sign instead.

i first learned of wilhelm when i was compiling my topps dodger team set want lists back in the early 1980s. there was a team checklist publication that i came across at the lcs and there at card number 777 was hoyt wilhelm with the rest of the 1972 dodgers. i didn't really know too much about him other than that until three years or so later when he was voted in to cooperstown.

wilhelm finished his career with the dodgers but is not really associated with them, which is something he shares in common with a few other hall of famers such as juan marichal, eddie murray, greg maddux, and rickey henderson. wilhelm was the fist reliever to be voted in to the hall of fame, and was the all-time leader in saves and games pitched when he retired.

i am happy to have him in my collection, and i recognize that i should have picked up this card sooner!

you can see my complete hall of famer collection here. now including hoyt!

8 comments:

  1. I could really use a Hoyt certified (sticker) Dodger card. Wonder if any sticker autos left unused? He is one of only 3 HOF LA Dodgers that I have not been able to find a true Dodgers certified autograph of. You named one other (Marichal) and then there is Jim Bunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's at least one other Hoyt certified auto from Topps--2002 Topps Super Teams, also showing him with the Giants. I know because I have one! Not my copy, but you can see an example here: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/144287793359_/Hoyt-Wilhelm-2002-02-Topps-Super-Teams-Autographs.jpg

    Was very happy to pick up a Hoyt certified auto. Got it on eBay in 2019 for about $15 with shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't know he had a signed card in that set - thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I think I remember seeing a Wilhelm on-card autograph featuring him with the Giants, but I might be mistaken. Not sure if I saw that card in my collection or in a display case at a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are not mistaken. it looks like two of three cards that i know of were giants cards.

      Delete