Saturday, March 20, 2021

please pass the catch up

it's not a bad problem to have - falling behind on trade posts - but i do want to catch up at some point soon.  and, i'm currently expecting a few envelopes in the mail thanks to my latest almost free stuff friday, so please allow me to show some cards that i've received in the (hopefully not too distant) past.

from jon at penny sleeves for your thoughts, i have this trio of metal dodgers
the cards are a bit hard to read, but according to comc, these are 1999 skybox molten metal supernatural xplosion cards of raul mondesi, eric karros, and todd hundley. cards so xplosive, they weren't even on my want list before jon contacted me about them.

jon also sent a nice xfractor of shawn green from 2001 bowman chrome
and a 2015 topps opening day stars clayton kershaw insert
i am looking forward to seeing kershaw's "outstanding opening days" insert from this year's release. he's one of only 10 subjects (yes, bob feller is one) and i am assuming the card will address his 2013 opening day performance in which he broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the 8th inning with his first career home run and then finished off the giants in the top of the ninth for a shutout. it was one of those games that i had to post about after it was over.

finally, jon included a card for my tatooine collection
that is some 2011 topps diamond anniversary sparkly tatooine goodness!

from chris at the collector (and the 1993), i have a trio of vladimir guerrero cards:
i have my vladdy collection, like pretty much my entire collection, in a binder. receiving that 1995 best card meant that i had to move every single one of my vladdy cards as it is the oldest card in the collection. i was happy to do so!

chris also sent me this 1993 action packed mark brunell card
it's one of brunell's rookies, and it's a uer thanks to the back:
he was the rose bowl mvp, not mpv. i didn't attend either of the rose bowl games mentioned on the back, but i did attend the game on 1/1/93 and saw michigan beat brunell's huskies thanks to the running exploits of tyrone wheatley.

i have a bunch of cards yet to show off from kerry at cards on cards, nick at dime boxes, brian at highly subjective and completely arbitrary, plus a few others. i'll get there, i promise!

10 comments:

  1. I purchased that XPlosion parallel set a few years ago... and that thing is heavy. Pretty sure I could use that thing as a doorstop if I needed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even just the three i have are pretty weighty - can't imagine how much the whole set weighs.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. i don't mind the recent years' xfractors (at least how they scan - checkerboardy) but these early ones sure are purty.

      Delete
  3. MPV... I hadn't even noticed that. Good catch! Glad I had some Vlad for you. I know that when I add Red Sox/Packers/Devils cards to my collection the binder shuffling can get tedious.

    Also the Shawn Green xfractor is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just spent an hour shuffling cards in a couple of binders. not my favorite thing to do, but not the worst, either.

      Delete
  4. I've been behind on my trade posts for about three years now! Not a horrible problem to have, as you said, but I still need to get better about getting those cards up on the blog. I don't have many of those early-aughts X-fractors, but I treasure the few I've managed to accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just put another pwe in the mail for you today. no xfractors, but i'll keep an eye out for next time.

      Delete
  5. I don't know where I've been, but apparently I am just now learning that Mark Brunell was drafted by the Packers?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep. backed up ol' fav-ruh (plus ty detmer) before being traded to jax for the 1995 season.

      Delete