Wednesday, July 26, 2023

show your money makers

it has taken me awhile to get to this post for a couple of reasons, but when i first saw night owl write about his top cards in terms of monetary value as determined by tcdb, i knew i would eventually share mine, too.

one of the reasons i waited was because i wanted to get this card in hand:
that is, of course, a 1963 topps ken mcmullen rookie card. it also features pete rose. i already had one of these, but i wanted one that was authenticated. authentic altered is a-ok with me, especially when the front looks as great as it does. the altered part has to do with the back:
paper loss and pen marking. i guess the original owner was a white sox fan, and i am just glad the defacing was limited to the back.  i bought the card on ebay, and it got sent through their authenticating process which just means that i received what i purchased.

earlier in the year when i was hanging out with fuji, we talked a bit about tcdb and i mentioned i had an unauthenticated version of the rose rookie card and that i was looking to pick up an authenticated version and then send my other raw card in to see if it would come back authentic. and so, a few months ago i finally pulled the trigger on an authenticated version, but haven't sent my other one in yet. i am guessing that it is a reprint even though it was advertised as authentic back when i bought it many years ago and someday i will find out for sure.

anyway, here are the top 12 valued cards in my dodger collection, according to tcdb:

#1 - 1955 topps sandy koufax

#2 - 1952 topps jackie robinson

#3 - 1955 topps jackie robinson

#4 - 2008 topps red hot rookie exchange clayton kershaw

#5 - 1954 topps jackie robinson

#6 - 1963 topps ken mcmullen

#7 - 1953 topps jackie robinson

#8 - 2006 fleer greats of the game bat barrel autographs steve garvey

#9 - 1956 topps sandy koufax

#10 - 2021 leaf lumber off the end of the bat relic steve garvey

#11 - 1952 topps duke snider

#12 - 1953 bowman color duke snider

just like night owl, i looked up my 100th priciest card, and it's this one
that's a 1953 bowman color pee wee reese. i've got two of them thanks to my double play collection.

keep in mind that these lists are only as good as the data, and there are many cards that don't have dollar values assigned to them, including my certified vin scully autograph from topps mint or my many 1/1 cards featuring steve garvey and others. there are also some high end cards that i own that are not on tcdb (2022 topps dynasty steve garvey cards, for example) and then there is condition to consider as well.

with my dodger collection now fully entered on tcdb, i plan to begin entering my complete sets, mini-collections, and hall of famer collection next, which will surely impact this list (thanks to vintage mickey mantles and a mike trout rookie and so on and so forth). it will be interesting to see where the list ends up!

12 comments:

  1. I don't pay much attention to TCDB prices, and an example of why i don't rely on them is at the end of this post. That Reese should be much higher. Regardless, your vintage Dodgers collection is incredible! The '52 Snider looks really sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really nice cards there in your collection. That Red Hot Kershaw is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 100th would place #5 in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. The Pee Wee is #100? That means you have one heckuva collection. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your #100 would probably be my #1 haha. Great collection, looking forward to the updated list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Kersh and Garvey cards look so out of place, of course. 2 completely different types of cards. Having that level of organization allows you to have fun posts like this. I am working my way slowly towards that. I assume the pricing is for top condition copies or did you adjust for conditional discounting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i tried to address this towards the end of the post, but wasn't clear. these are whatever values tcdb has assigned, with no thought given to the specific condition of cards in my collection. i don't know how tcdb populates their prices or if they assume a certain condition for vintage cards.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine a world where any modern day Leaf card is valued higher than the '53 Reese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beaters of those cards seem to approach or top 2 bills now on ebay. Everyone wants that card now.

      Delete
  8. tcdb has the reese card valued at only $40. i would agree that it should be higher, even in the condition that i show in the post. they also value the red parallel 1974 dodger stamps card from 2023 heritage at $40 which is silly. that's why i don't put a lot of stock in the values on tcdb as i don't know how the data is sourced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few of those red quads sold for $40+ I think, before they flooded ebay. I got my last 1 for $1 plus $1 s/h. Sadly, I overpaid for a couple of them, so i bought a few cheap ones to make myself feel better and lower the "average" price I paid for them. Stupid, I know, but it made me feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete