Thursday, April 21, 2022

where is my line?

being a player collector can be as difficult as you want it to be. conversely, it can be very simple. i am definitely in the middle; probably skewed more towards difficult, at least when it comes to steve garvey cards.

including "named" cards in a player collection is the very basic building block.
these are easy - it's their card!

i would say the next tier are cards which feature the player as a prominent subject in the photo, but they are not named. an example of this would be a postseason summary card or a card
like so.

from there, i would go to team cards
i discussed their place in player collecting in this post.

and then there are the cards wherein a player appears on another player's card as a "lurker" or "cameo", if you prefer.
it's not their card, but they are happy to be there.

i would say that this is pretty much where my line is drawn. i have a pretty sketchy lurker card
in my garvey collection, i admit, so maybe some of these other types of cards should be added as well.

i'm talking about "name" cameos - as in checklists 
or card back text. collecting cutch covered this topic in this post and i've come across some decent candidates for my garvey collection, like the 1986 fleer star sticker box card checklist above, and this 2005 topps rookie cup davey lopes blue parallel card back
other strong examples are the cards i wrote about in this post and this post, too. 

so far, i haven't added these cards to my garvey collection, although i do have a signed 1978 checklist in the pc and my partial signed set binder.

i have a lot of non-card items in my garvey collection which is a relatively new (last 10 years or so) phenomenon. this includes ticket stubs that bear garvey's photo. greg at plaschke, thy sweater is argyle is collecting ticket stubs for games in which mike trout did cool stuff which is a heck of a endeavor, but i don't plan to do that for garvey's 272 dingers or his 1,207 consecutive games. what an undertaking that would be!

still, if you merge a garvey ticket stub with a card, i don't care whose card it is - i am adding it to the pc! so that's why i have an alfonso soriano card
an aaron rowand card
and a ryan braun card

in my steve garvey collection. those three cards are from 2009 topps a ticket to stardom, and they are great. the card set just happened to coincide with the fantastic tickets the dodgers issued in 2008 for their 50th year in los angeles. 

i don't see any garvey stubs in cards over at comc right now, but maybe some other player collectors will find something to add. where's your line?

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty militant on these - cameo cards & such are fun, but I only include a card for my player collection if it features said player and no one else. Even multi-player cards where one of my guys is listed don't qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely count multiplayer cards, although I only need one--for example, I have a Seaver/deGrom dual card in my Seaver binder, but don't feel the need to get one for the deGrom binder.

    Something like that Sportscaster card I will somewhat grudgingly include in that player's collection if he's clearly one of the main guys on it, but I don't count cameos, team cards, text, and so on.

    Where is Garvey on that Dave Parker card? I guess that's his back on the right-hand side of the card, but how can you even tell? Crazy if true--Garvey, Ryne Sandberg, and Joe Garagiola all making cameos on the same card! Fleer did a lot of photos at All-Star Games in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you know ehere I used to stand. Still do for oddball stuff, but thew glut of new, unlicensed releases and the skyrocketing costs of even the most common cards in the last 1-2 years has really soured me. I am also getting old enough to wonder just how much more time I can enjoy these before it's time to say goodbye and still have time to do something about it! i do have one of those stub cards, and a few of the stubs itself, by the way. i remember seeing the Braun and thinking the seller wanted too much for what it was, but you were less concerned or swung a nice deal, either way it is the best example from that set I have seen. Too bad his face didn't make it into any that I am aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to my player collections, I don't have a line in regards to what I'll add to my collection. If the price is right, I'll add it. The thing is the hobby boom has limited the number of "bargains" out there which means, I don't buy new cards for my player collections very often.

    By the way... is that Garvey's butt on the right side of that Fleer Dave Parker card? If so, you get big props for discovering him lurking on that card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never count team photo cards. Otherwise, if my dude is named on the card or is the center of the photo, welcome aboard.
    I put most of my really odd-sized stuff for PCs in one separate binder.

    ReplyDelete