Friday, July 3, 2020

o say can you see

tomorrow is the 4th of july, so it seems appropriate to post this card
which is a 2006 upper deck david ortiz card with old glory prominently shown behind big papi. lots of red, white, and blue on this card. steve garvey used to say that wearing a dodger uniform was like wearing the american flag, and the red sox home unis get you two-thirds of the way there.

i am going to get on a soapbox for a moment and say that i am pleased to see that some (not all) have finally understood (or at least have finally admitted to understanding) that the nfl players who knelt during the national anthem were not doing so out of disrespect for the flag or the anthem, but rather to peacefully protest injustice and attempt to draw attention to the issues faced by people of color within the justice system. unfortunately, it was easier for many to accuse colin kaepernick and others of insulting the flag and those who fought under its banner than to consider the realities of the issue.  i know many turned their back on the nfl (including vin scully) as a result of the kneeling and the false narrative put forth, but i hope we are all on our way to a better understanding.

i'll end this post with another david ortiz card from upper deck. this one is from 2001, and features ortiz as a twin
at first i thought maybe the umpire there was country joe worst west, but i suppose there are a number of umpires from 19 years ago that had a neck waddle like that.

be safe and sane tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard about Kaepernick kneeling, I was upset like many others were because I thought it was disrespectful to our country and everyone who fought for the freedom our flag represents. But I now realize I was wrong. His kneeling was his way of protesting social injustice. I remember him telling people that... and I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't listen. However after hearing others speak up for the cause... eventually I heard and understood his message. I just wish it had happened sooner... and I hope others who still don't understand his true actions eventually do as well.

    Honestly... I think it's awesome that you got on your soapbox. The more people who do, the more people will understand it's not about "disrespect". It's about peaceful protest for a just cause.

    ReplyDelete