Thursday, June 11, 2020

austin barnes has been seen in san francisco

tony bennett may have left his heart there, and mark twain may have endured some cold winter/summer weather, but it was oscar wilde who noted that "anyone who disappears is said to be seen in san francisco".

with the dodgers employing yasmani grandal in recent years, and then the emergence of will smith last season, it may seem that austin barnes has been infrequently seen. i wouldn't say that he has disappeared, but he has been seen in san francisco.

earlier this spring, i finally finished my 2019 topps dodger team set. it never takes me this long, but for some reason, i essentially ignored a few cards from series 2.  one of them was this austin barnes beauty that i had not seen before:
my first thought was "is collecting cutch aware of this card?" (he is), and my second thought was "that is a great looking card that pairs well with barnes' 2020 flagship release, which also features a photo from pac bell sbc at&t oracle park"
rundowns are fun!

shortly after that, i remembered that barnes' other flagship-ish card, this one from 2016 topps update
also features a photo from the city by the bay, and even includes a lurking buster posey.

can't wait to see what 2021 topps will bring. maybe the coke bottle in the background?
if only topps had made a 2017 flagship card for barnes, that photo from april of 2016 may have been on it. it's not dodger stadium, but it still would have been nice.

2 comments:

  1. Barnes has some fantastic flagship cards. And I never call it Oracle. If I had to break it down... I'd say I call it AT&T 50% of the time... Pac Bell 45%... and I might slip in an SBC about 5% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be "Phone Company Stadium" for me.....now it's only referred to as "Database Stadium". Am sure it'll be something new in 2025.

      Delete