Friday, May 8, 2020

the elusive king of junk wax

about three years ago, i decided to try to finish my 1989 dodger wants. not any particular team set, but all the team sets from that year. i figured it was a good year to choose, given the fact that they were the reigning world champions.

i came pretty close. outside of an oddball box bottom card (my most wanted card!), some sticker related items and a couple of those weird doubleheader things, i've pretty much exhausted the checklist. there are some minor league cards that i don't really consider part of the quest, but there is one specific card that has eluded me.  it's the topps active career batting leader card of eddie murray.

that card was issued as an insert of sorts to blister packs of 1989 topps cards sold at kmart.  it was issued late enough so that murray could be airbrushed into a dodger uniform rather than that of an oriole which is a blessing and a curse for dodger collectors like me.  i'm still on the lookout for that card, but i did find a reasonably priced copy of the 1990 version recently:
night owl blogged about this same card a couple of years ago.  it's such a simple card, and you would think there would be a glut of these on the market like other kmart or retail outlet cards. the difference, i think, is that these were issued one per blister pack as opposed to full sets in their own little box.  here's some more info courtesy of sportscollectorsdaily.com.

i didn't know anything about these cards until i undertook that 1989 completion effort, and it looks like i'll be waiting a little while longer to get it done.  at least i won't have the same problem if i try to tackle the remainder of my needs from the 1990 dodger checklist!

9 comments:

  1. Just curious... what's the story behind the 1989 Fleer box bottom? Is that Orel short printed or something? I tried to look it up on COMC and they've never even had a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the story behind the white vs grey backs are. I have the other dodger cards in both versions but not the bulldog.

      Delete
  2. Those cards are crazy tough. I don't anticipate getting the '89 Murray any time in the next 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started keeping a closer watch on the usual sites so hopefully it happens sooner than that!

      Delete
  3. Someone sent me one of these a while ago (Carney Lansford) and I had no idea how rare they were until recently. Glad you got one of the Murrays you needed, at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I think I recall seeing that in one of your posts. I think Kerry received one recently, too. Good gets by trade for sure!

      Delete
    2. I got my 1989 Pedro Guerrero from Bob (The Best Bubble).

      Delete
  4. Love these deceptively rare green beauties! I've got the Rickey and Julio Franco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on landing such an oddly difficult card to find! Makes me wonder now if I've ever come across any of these in dime boxes, and just skipped right by them because I didn't know of their rarity.

    ReplyDelete