Monday, May 18, 2020

am i too late for the jordan party?

i bought my first pack of basketball cards in 1978. it was a 1977-78 topps pack, and in it i found (no joke) kareem-abdul jabbar, rick barry, darryl dawkins, pete maravich, and bill walton. hot pack!  i didn't buy any basketball after that until 1990 or so when i started to buy a pack here and there. 

one of my college roommates at that time was into basketball, and he started buying cards so i ramped things up as well. by 1993 or so, i was no longer interested. i did pick up a card or two here and there, but wound up selling off most of my collection in 2000, including those cards from my first pack. i didn't sell all of my basketball cards, and i have bought a single or two since then, but i have very little interest these days.

the cards i didn't sell included all of my magic johnson cards, a few representative cards of the stars from that early 90's time period, and all of my michael jordan cards.  here they are:
nothing spectacular. no inserts, but a few nice looking cards. i bought a lot of 1991-92 upper deck and coveted those holograms.

not sure if i'm too late to cash in on the craze right now - i certainly don't need 33 michael jordan cards though.

4 comments:

  1. You are officially too late. All the money has been spent. All the money in the world. But at least you have those Jordans to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prices have started to settle... but you can still sell these for more than you probably think. The good news is Jordan will always be popular. Basketball is an international sport... with plenty of fans in Europe and Asia, so there will always be demand for his cards.

    P.S. I bought a lot of 1991-92 UD too. And those holograms are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Fuji said, prices are coming back down to earth, and will probably continue to do so going forward, but you could still net a "few" bucks for this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's about what my MJ collection looks like, and I've wondered the same thing. If you don't have any attachment to them I'd say cash in. Buy yourself some nice Dodgers cards.

    ReplyDelete