Monday, May 11, 2020

bruce sutter is a mood (and a look)

i've been working from home since the afternoon of march 16. i recognize that this fact makes me more fortunate than many, and i don't take the impact that this pandemic is having on our society lightly. there have been some times in the past couple of months that i've felt and looked like bruce sutter on his 1983 donruss card
a little anxious? worried? uncertain? hairy? yes, i've been there.  i didn't shave for the first six weeks and things got a little out of hand. i've corrected that issue, but still haven't had a haircut. i am happy to wait for that until such things are deemed appropriate. i'm not one of those jackasses out protesting about it. if you happen to be one, i politely ask that you find a constructive way to deal if that particular service is not currently available in your area.

sutter had a habit of looking to the horizon, perhaps for inspiration, on his cardinal cards.  one of the first (which is when we first get a look at the hirsute version of the closer) was his 1981 topps traded card
but there are similar photos used for all three of his 1985 topps cards
with many other examples from this timeframe. it's weird to me that someone at topps didn't try to get some variety in there.

at any rate, i'm glad to have this outlet which has always been an escape of sorts for me. thanks to all who read and write about the hobby!

i'll let 1981 topps coke bruce sutter take us out with my current mood (and look):
stay safe!

6 comments:

  1. I was overdue for a haircut before all this hit, but I heard that mullets were going to make a comeback this year, so I'm willing to let this ride itself out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. The 85 Topps really captures the subtlety of the pensive gaze. Exactly what people are looking for in a baseball card. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That '85 Topps trio is ridiculous! Fleer should have gotten him and Don Sutton together for a Suttoning/Suttering combo card. Don taking a knee while Bruce stands behind him staring off into the distance. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel Sutter's mood for sure.. but doesn't he have any cards picturing him on the mound? (I know he does, but that is a staggering amount of staring.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I end up looking Sutter-ish multiple times a year, but it has nothing to do with viruses, I just don't like cutting my hair, and absolutely loathe shaving! Although I do have to do both come summer, because it get's too hot here in TN to stay so hairy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty much on the same timeline as you. Been out of the classroom since 3/13... but have had the luxury of working from home since then. I didn't shave for a month, but I had to shave it back because it was way too itchy. Now I trim it once ever 7 to 14 days. Still haven't had a haircut though. I've been spiking it up when I teach, so I look like Heat Miser (a Japanese version of him at least).

    ReplyDelete