Tuesday, July 23, 2024

a white black & white whale for someone

every so often i venture over to beckett marketplace to look for autographs and parallels from 2004 upper deck legends timeless teams and 2005 donruss studio portraits. usually, there is nothing new to tempt me, but a few weeks ago i found a steve garvey parallel from the studio portraits set that i didn't already own.  i own it now.
it's the zenith white black & white parallel, numbered to 35. the first color in the description usually refers to the color of the border, but this border certainly isn't white. anyway, by my count, this is the 27th different garvey card i have from this release of parallels. i don't think that is even half of the number available.

it also turns out that this version was a white whale of a reader who commented on my want list post nearly three years ago. i've left a followup comment, but graytiger if you are reading this and still need a white black & white garvey, let me know!

the seller also had a diamond kings blue parallel of kirk gibson
which numbered to 50.

the garvey was $2.50 and gibson cost $1.50, so i was a pleased customer. anyone else peruse beckett marketplace in addition to the usual shopping grounds?

3 comments:

  1. I have shopped on Beckett before, but it's been several years since I purchased anything. A vendor might have one or two cards that I want, but the shipping will usually turn me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to look through the Marketplace every couple of months or so, but don't usually find enough from any one seller to warrant doing an order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with both you and mark, but in this case, the garvey was so underpriced (to me) that the 4.50 shipping was worth it

      Delete