Sunday, April 30, 2023

best coast

being a west coast kid, i was happy to have found this card
in a pack of 2022 topps allen & ginter last year. i like the idea behind the famous rivals subset, and the battle of the coasts is a good one to feature. 

representing the west coast is the big sur coastline, which is probably not what most folks on the east coast think of when conjuring up images of the west coast. i would think maybe santa monica beach would be more representative? for me, the montauk lighthouse is pretty close to what i think of for an east coast image, although i would more likely choose a photo with that ubiquitous wood and wire sand fencing. i remember my first trip to massachusetts back in the 90's and i was happy to find a spot with sand, grass, and that fencing. it was everything i thought of when picturing an east coast beach.

you may recall that i am a huge fan of the big sur coastline and will drive it every chance i get. it just so happens that i will be in the area soon, but will all the rain that hit the area earlier this year, pch is closed just south of big sur, so i won't be able to do the full drive from carmel to morro bay, but i do plan to check out as much as i can.

for the record, i am not an east coast hater. i have enjoyed every trip i have taken out there and will return sometime soon to experience more of it. it's just not the best coast we have.

4 comments:

  1. I do love the lighthouses along the east coast, particularly in New England, but I've always wanted to see the "best coast" and Big Sur among other places. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived within a couple of miles from the Atlantic my whole life, it never occurred to me that the coasts would be all that different from each other. If anything, I would guess that north/south is more important than east/west. I haven't been to the west coast but I would imagine that WA/OR might be more like MA/NY while southern CA would be more like FL?

    I'd definitely love to visit CA some day, I don't think our coast is so special here in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the opposite of Chris. Been up and down the west coast... but have always wanted to see the east coast and especially see all of the lighthouses in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in Oregon, I've been up and down the Oregon and Washington coasts, but never did go to California.

    ReplyDelete