Sunday, May 1, 2022

my favorite play

the last time i played in an organized baseball game was the summer of 2000. i knew it was going to be my last game, and there were a couple of things that i was hoping would happen. one of those things was for a ball to be hit up the middle with a runner on first so that i could scoop the ball, drag second base with my foot, and throw to first to complete the double play.

that play is almost but not quite captured on adalberto mondesi's 2021 topps stadium club card
a card that had been one of my most wanted non-dodger cards for awhile. it goes in my double play collection, and it reminds me of that play that i enjoyed so much. 

of course, i can probably count on one hand the number of times that particular play happened for me over the dozen years or so that i played organized baseball, but it was still by far my favorite defensive play to make. unfortunately, it didn't happen for me that day, but i did get a couple of hits and displayed my warning track power in my last at bat.  it's true that we can't all go out the way we want.

5 comments:

  1. As a lefty, I never got to play SS to make that play happen :( But gotta admit... it's a pretty cool play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember turning any double plays but I once made an unassisted triple play in Little League. By far the highlight of my otherwise lackluster "career."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that must have been fun - obviously memorable. i remember playing third as a 9 year old and having a chance to start a triple play, but i spaced out and just threw to first rather than step on third and throw to second. my coaches were cool about it and in hindsight i do think the ball was hit hard enough to me that we could have had a chance to turn it with a couple of good throws - not a given back then!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete