Thursday, November 26, 2020

thanks for the ttm-ories

on some past thanksgivings, i gave thanks for successful through the mail autograph requests, and i decided to do the same today. i'll start by showcasing the very first ttm request i ever made.
that's a 1982 donruss san diego chicken card that 11-year old gcrl sent off to be signed back in 1982. when i saw it a year or two ago, i was confused. i had found this card in my complete set that had been boxed up since '82 and didn't recall how it might have been signed. i think it was gavin who reminded me that there was information on the back about getting the card signed, and he was right.

once i re-read the back, i did recall taking advantage of this opportunity.

most of my ttm requests over the last 12 years or so have focused on dodgers and the 1978 topps set. i was pretty active with these requests from 2009-2013 or so, and i had sent out only a couple of requests in 2020 until mid august when i sent one to jim kaat and then realized that i was close to 400 different signed cards from the 1978 topps set. i decided to make some more requests and purchase a few signed cards to get me past that threshhold.

many players still sign for free through the mail, and i was able to obtain autographs from some of them that were new to me, including junior moore
rogelio moret
tim nordbrook
mike willis
randy elliott
ron hodges
jim norris
tom poquette
gary ross
balor moore
bob apodaca
rob sperring
al fitzmorris
brent strom
wilbur howard
terry humphrey
mike barlow
dave rosello
and rod gilbreath
who also signed a 1974 topps card for me
in addition to those players above who sign for free, there are quite a few who request a donation. some have taken to signing through past pros, but i didn't go that route. instead, i sent donations and requests directly to these players - all were within the $2-$5 range.

dennis leonard signed his base card
and the league leader card
i have another copy of that card signed by dave goltz. for the record, i don't count both cards (or any multiple versions of cards) towards my total.

others to whom i donated were reggie cleveland
jim dwyer
john scott
john mayberry
whitey herzog
steve braun
who also included a note
and roy white
i've no plans to try to get carlton fisk to sign the card, however.

that roy white card is one of the best in the set, but there were some other cards that i wanted to add to my signed partial set, and the only way to do so was to purchase them from a dealer. one such card thusly acquired was doug ault's.
my favorite non-dodger card of 1978.

i added a few more cards from that same seller - the late jim bibby
jack clark
somewhere i have a picture of me and clark - pre-1985, of course.

larry dierker
dierker signs ttm with a fee, but it was cheaper to buy this version.

george foster
this matches well with the rbi leaders card that i have signed by foster and this one
that i added very recently

rick monday
i have a signed mo card in my autographed dodger team set that was acquired through a 50/50 trade, but wanted another one for this effort.

jeff burroughs
ken clay
tom griffin
larry milbourne
same deal on clay, griffin, and milbourne as the dierker above.

mike ivie
this is one of the cards in the set that is most burned in my brain. it seemed to me that ivie was upset about having his photo taken.

john montefusco
the count was a big part of my burgeoning fandom thanks to his status as one of the giants' best pitchers and the fact that they played the dodgers so many times.

bill north
north was a dodger by the time we found this card in packs.

larry hisle
this one was a card that i really wanted to have in my collection. hisle didn't get an o-pee-chee card in 1978 aside from the rbi leader card that showed him as a twin. i was a bit confused as a seven year old opening packs back then as to how he could be a twin and a brewer in the same set. later, i was confused as to why o-pee-chee didn't add the "now with twins" text to the league leader card.

billy hunter
nice to get another manager card for the set.

and finally, money well spent to add this card to the project - greg minton.
it's not funny, it's art.

as of today, my partial set stands at 411 different cards signed, with maybe a dozen or so duplicate cards signed by different players (league leaders, rookies, team checklists, checklists).  

the last card i will show is this 1978 o-pee-chee ron cey card
one of the first ttm requests i made when i began sending them out in earnest was of the penguin. i sent him my collection's original 1978 opc card - the one that i had pinned up to my wall in my bedroom after returning home from saskatchewan in the late summer of 1978 and one of the first cards i scanned for my first blog. i have since moved that card to my 'meaningful and just because cards' mini collection, and i wanted to replace it among the few other '78 opc cards i have signed.  it turns out that cey had just recently stopped signing for free through the mail, but he had been so generous over the years that i was ok paying the $15 fee this time.

thanks to cey and to all the players who sign ttm! and, of course, i have so much more to be thankful for - family, friends, health, and work to name a few.

happy thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving! That's quite the collection of signed 78 Topps cards. Love the Ault. It was also cool seeing Candlestick and the Coliseum in the background of some of those cards. As for the Chicken... he still signs. I've been meaning to send him a few cards to get signed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of this set, but do love the idea of someone trying to get all of any set signed. And I haven't sent out any requests for a couple of years now, and might not ever do so again, but I always enjoyed getting notes back, to me they were better than the signed cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are things that will always make me happy. Seeing signed Topps All Rookie Trophy cards and signed 78 Topps. 78 was my first foray into baseball cards and will always be remembered fondly. I don't have them counted and have purchased nearly all of them, but I probably have 500 or more signed 78T cards. I thought it would be fun to have the entire set signed, but I am just not interested in paying big $$ for rare cards that don't have direct interest to me. I don't know if that applies to any I need, but since this offering is over 40 years old now, this set is well on it's way to becoming a set where finding anyone alive to sign is a trick in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent in my own Chicken card, but not until the 83 edition. I like how he signed the hyear on those early requests, so you know it was from that era.

    I either didn't notice the offer or just didn't have the spare card (I would have never broken my set to send it off)

    ReplyDelete