Friday, February 21, 2020

are you pumped for the new season?

looks like all that trash can banging is annoying jose cruz as he gets in his single arm curl reps.
while waiting for spring training and the 2020 season to get going, i recently spent some time going through some old boxes of cards that i brought back from my parents' home last fall. there were a lot of cards from the mid to late 1970's through 1987 or so.  i also brought with me my dad's baseball and hockey card collection which is a story for another time.

it's amazing to me that i can look at cardboard from that era and still find new things, like cruz up there with a dumbbell in his hand.  i also found some cards to move in to my dodger stadium collection, most notably this 1986 fleer dale murphy card
1980's fleer braves cards feature a bunch of dodger stadium background shots. this particular card is a box bottom card.  in the base set, there was this terry puhl card
like the braves, the astros had a lot of cards featuring the colorful seats of dodger stadium in the background.

1985 fleer update has a bunch of cards that feature photos taken in dodger stadium, such as this kent tekulve card
but perhaps the 1985 card that i remember most for its dodger stadium background was this donruss dwight gooden card
35 years later, i feel safe moving this to my dodger stadium collection, as this card isn't going to pay for my retirement as i thought back in '85.  i remember wishing that donruss had used the photo from gooden's box bottom card (showing him in shea stadium) as his main card so that i could keep this card separate from the player collection/investment binder. ah, youth.

finally, here's a 1983 fleer burt hooton card
that somehow had stayed out of my dodger stadium collection until now.

although i don't currently have plans to get to chavez ravine this season, i've got tickets to the dodgers/twins series here in minneapolis later this summer, and i can't hardly wait!

3 comments:

  1. The thing I love most about the '84 Cruz is how tiny the weight is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those cards showing Dodger Stadium in the background. And I'm definitely pumped for the new season, lol. That's awesome that you'll get to see the Dodgers in Minnesota. I'm hoping I get to attend at least one of the Dodgers/Twins games at the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you collect cards featuring Dodger Stadium. I'm always on the lookout for 70's cards featuring the Oakland Coliseum in the background... but I've never actually thought about collecting them. I guess that's because my collection is already being torn in so many directions.

    As for your question... heck yeah I'm pumped. Really tired hearing about the drama (not that people don't have the right to be upset and annoyed with the Astros and cheating in general) and just want to watch some baseball.

    ReplyDelete