Tuesday, August 28, 2018

my favorite card of the year

i received a big sur-prise when i saw that one of the natural wonders box toppers in 2018 topps allen & ginter was this card:
that stretch of california coast - the ragged edge of the western world - is truly awesome.  it's a little weird that pch and the bixby bridge are featured on a 'natural wonders' card, but i'll take it.  i've driven that stretch of highway dozens of times, and i've run across the bixby bridge twice (it's the halfway point of the big sur international marathon).  pch recently reopened after being closed due to mudslides, and i am looking forward to driving down the coast hopefully sometime this fall when i head back to california.

there was also a bora bora card
in the 'world's greatest beaches' insert set which was nice.  i once spent three weeks in french polynesia including a week with a great view of otemanu (the peak shown on the card).  thanks to brian at highly subjective for sending me this card.  still, big sur is pretty much my favorite spot on earth and it's going to take a pretty spectacular card to surpass that box topper as my favorite card of 2018.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pun to start!
    I've only been out that way once, but I really enjoyed the PCH and Big Sur. I didn't realize there was a card of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta find a copy of that Ginter card. I just wrote about one of my cards featuring Bixby Creek Bridge a few weeks ago...

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2018/08/blown-away-by-beauty.html

    ReplyDelete