Monday, August 20, 2018

do you feel luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc-ky?

sometime during the last year i sold all of my hockey card sets, and a few years ago i sent all of my non-pc hockey cards to captain canuck.  i've been doing some more organizing lately, and i've removed all of my pc hockey cards from their binders, except for a couple of players.  one is wayne gretzky and the other is my favorite player - luc robitaille
i found that 1994 sports illustrated for kids card in a nickel box a few months ago, and it resulted in me taking stock of my luc collection.  i realized that i did not have a rookie card of the hall-of-famer, so i corrected that quickly by picking up a 1987-88 topps card
i grew up not only following the dodgers, but the kings as well.  i believe i was actually wearing a kings t-shirt  as a toddler before i ever wore a dodger t-shirt, courtesy of my uncle.  anyway, i generally started following hockey around 1979. my dad and my uncle were big fans, and we used to go to kings games a couple of times each season. my dad took my brother and i to the 1980-81 all-star game at the fabulous forum in los angeles. that was the first time i saw gretzky play. luc obviously wasn't there, but the triple crown line (charlie simmer, marcel dionne, and dave taylor) was.  i thought that gordie howe was there, but i must be thinking of a game we went to the previous season to see him playing with the whalers because i definitely remember seeing number 9 skating with his son, mark (mark was at the all-star game, so that is probably lending to my confusion).  i'm getting off track - i was just trying to establish my legit hockey fandom that stretched from the late 1970's into the late 1990's.

i moved to orange county in time for the gretzky years (i even attended his first regular season game with the kings), and i spent too much money on game tickets and cards during that time.  it was so much fun being a kings fan during those years, as the team was popular and the organization did a lot to connect with the fans.  even though they lost the stanley cup to montreal, it was a great time to be a fan.

when i moved from socal to minny, there was no nhl team in the twin cities.  i did sign up to be a season ticket holder for the wild in their first season along with some friends (just as i had done with the mighty ducks of anaheim back in their inaugural season) and i really enjoyed it.  i was really excited in 2002 when the red wings won the stanley cup because luc was on that team, but my attention span for the nhl was waning.  the lack of a season in 2004-05 pretty much killed my fandom, although i did watch a few stanley cup finals games here and there in subsequent years, including game 6 of the 2011-12 finals that saw the kings finally raise lord stanley's cup.

luc was in the front office then, but it was still a great moment to see him hold the cup as a king.  

robitaille continues to show up in hockey product apparently, but i am not really actively seeking out his cards.  i do have a final tribute from 2006-07 fleer flair showcase
those numbers are ridiculous, including more goals than any other left winger.

i'm definitely keeping my luc collection, and will hold on to the gretzky cards for the time being, but i still have a bunch of hockey cards featuring most of the key players from the late 1980's into the mid 1990's if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

  1. I almost became a hockey fan when the North Stars went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, but the team moved away and I just stopped watching.
    Not even the Mighty Ducks could resurrect my fandom!
    I do have a Stanley Cup mini collection, however, so I look for cards that have the trophy featured on it.

    ReplyDelete