Sunday, December 10, 2023

ivan rodriguez is in my hall of famer collection

it's a bit of an ivan rodriguez week here, as the hall of fame catcher was featured in friday's post thanks to the rangers retiring his number 7. this post is all about him entering my hall of famer collection with this card as his entry:
that is a 2021 topps tribute tribute to topps 1982 autograph numbered 94/99. here's the back:
topps provides some of the highlights of irod's career that qualified him for cooperstown, so i won't be repetitive. instead, i will note that one of the reasons i am just now adding him to my collection is that i wanted a card that showed rodriguez from his tenure with the tigers.

i know he spent most of his career with the rangers, but it was his time in detroit that sticks in my mind the most. that's because it was during that time that my son started catching, and he asked me to add detroit's old english "d" to his helmet so he would look like pudge. of course, it wasn't too long after that that he pivoted to joe mauer as his favorite player and catcher icon. still, i will alsways think of rodriguez as a tiger first.

he did win a pennant in detroit, and was an all-star in each of his four full seasons there, so it's not like he wasn't producing as a tiger. welcome to the collection, pudge!

i used to show my entire hall of famer collection in these posts, but not anymore. as a reminder, you can see my complete hall of famer collection here.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on landing a Pudge auto... especially one that's on-card and attractive. I've gotta dig through my autos to see if I have a signature of his. If not, I'll have to add one, because his career was impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bit on the back where they tell you what you've received sure is long winded. A bit confusing if you read it too fast as well.

    ReplyDelete