Saturday, October 10, 2020

i can't and don't collect them all

there was a time when i had a very extensive group of player collections, from aaron to yount with pretty much every star (and some semi-stars) in between. those collections went by the wayside in 2003 when i considered (for the second time) ending my collecting ways.  i wound up not stopping, but i did refocus my collecting attention to dodgers and steve garvey only.

there is no doubt that bryce harper would have been a member of my player collections if i were still collecting the same way today as i was back then.  while i do have some of his cards scattered through my mini-collections (which were added as collecting priorities in 2007 or so), i mostly reserve his cards for trade bait with a fairly regular trading partner.  these four harper cards came from jeff at wax pack wonders
as part of a giveaway, and the jackie robinson salute card is one that fits in to one of those aforementioned mini-collections.

meanwhile, alex at chavez ravining held a contest in which he gave away some cards as well. i was randomly assigned these beauties
those are a pair of 2019 topps high tek george springer parallels. as a fellow dodger fan, i fully understand alex wanting to jettison these from his collection. i consider myself to be a temporary owner of these cards as well.

i was able to claim some guys i do collect as part of jeff's giveaway, and i wound up with a nice 1986 topps fernando valenzuela record breaker card
plus some vladimir guerrero (one of my few surviving player collections) cards, like this 1998 pacific revolution card
plus an oldie but a goodie - 1996 topps prospects card (with andruw jones)
and 2007 topps turkey red
likewise, alex included a bunch of cards for my collection along with the springer contest winnings.

2019 topps stadium club julio urias red foil parallel
another red parallel - this one a 2014 topps dee gordon target exclusive
along with another dee gordon parallel - this one of the gold variety from 2014 topps update
here's a 2014 spring fever hanley ramirez insert
and a couple of chrome parallels - a 2014 topps chrome erisbel arruebarrena x-fractor
and a 2007 topps chrome derek lowe white refractor
great stuff all around. thanks jeff and alex!

5 comments:

  1. Here's hoping that 1986 card with Vlad and Andruw someday joins the 1978 Molitor/Trammell card as a Topps rookie card with two Hall of Famers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Vlad is fantastic! I see two guys on here that I feel obligated to collect but don't feel great about doing so. Springer is a Connecticut product but he's also an Astro. Urias shares my birthday, but he was charged with domestic violence. Hopefully both players stay out of trouble from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very difficult trying to collect everything. I enjoy collecting a bunch of different players (I guess you can call them mini PC's). My approach is add them as I pull them... or find them in dime boxes. I don't feel the need to leave my comfort zone in regards to the hobby budget for these "mini PC" players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was under the impression that most fans disliked Bryce Harper, and the ones who didn't, were shamed for not doing so?

    ReplyDelete