Saturday, August 29, 2020

a card that brought a smile to my face

times are tough. i don't know anyone who isn't suffering at some level - financially, socially, mentally, professionally, and the list goes on. i include myself in that group, so it was great to see an email from friend of the blogosphere mr. haverkamp show up a few weeks ago.

he asked if i had any information on this card
a card which comc's inventory calls a "1978 los angeles dodgers dental health" card. i had no idea and was of no help. i've searched comc for non-dodger dusty baker cards, but i figured i had all (or at least knew of ) all of the dodger issues i needed. this was a new one to me.

a week or so later, an envelope shows up with that card inside! awesome!  here's the back:
it's pretty flimsy, and i can't find any additional information on it. i assume that the inset cartoon is showing "sugar" striking out.  it's a glorious oddball, whatever it is.

johnnie b didn't travel alone, either.  there were a few 1982 fleer stamps that i needed as well
including a couple of fernandos. there's some good footage out there of tommy lasorda standing in as fernando's interpreter in some interviews wherein tommy seems to generously expand on some of fernando's responses. good times.

the pwe also included some 2003 topps 205 mini cards of brian jordan and shawn green
the jordan and one of the greens were "brooklyn" backs, and the other green was a piedmont back:
not sure which is more rare, but all were needed and welcome in my collection.

thanks jim! this brought a smile to my face!

7 comments:

  1. Impressive stuff! I had not seen that Dusty Baker card before but it's pretty cool. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim finds some of the coolest oddball issues and when he reaches out to ask you about a card, you know it must be obscure, because that guy knows his cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool. It looks like something that might be homemade, but before customs became a thing. Maybe a dental office made some with Bakers blessing (or w/o it)? I have never seen anything like it and have a pretty extensive Dodger collection myself. Now I imagine other Dodgers featured on it and it being a widespread LA area thing that nobody knows anything about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to snag that Baker from COMC, thanks for the blog entry that introduced me to the card. Free would have been better, but the seller accepted an offer just under $3. I can handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say I've seen a card made by a dentist before. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete