Monday, April 20, 2020

throwing (with) shade(s)

hopefully you are following along (and voting) with dimebox nick's latest frankenset bracket. one of the cards still standing is the 1960 topps ryne duren that features the sandberg family favorite sporting sunglasses in both the primary and secondary photos on the card.  i've voted for it each time it has come up in a pairing, and as of this writing it is in a dead heat against a 1991 upper deck geno petralli card.

i was recently going through cards from my dad's collection (he gave them to me last year as part of a downsizing effort) and found a different duren card, along with that of one of his teammates, from 1963 topps.
once again, duren rocks the shades in both photos, while eli grba exposes his eyes in the inset.  makes me wonder if gene autry had a stake in sunglasses, or if grba just had a hard night out on the road when his photo was taken.

in other news, i tried my hand at a card giveaway (some strings attached) on friday. i must have scared folks off, as only two have claimed cards as of this morning.  take a look and let me know if there is anything there that you want!

8 comments:

  1. I've been hearing a lot of people say that their trade bait is running low, what with the whole not being able to get cards anywhere thing, so it might not be that you've scared anyone away, so much as it is they just might not have anything from your lists right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you may be right jon. i'll have your cards out this week.

      Delete
  2. Dang it. I love my dad, but I sure wish he collected baseball cards when he was a kid. I would had a shot at some Goudeys ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my dad was 16 when 1952 topps high numbers hit the shelves. unfortunately, he didn't buy any.

      Delete
  3. I could be mistaken but I think it's Duren pictured on the Grba card as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with even just the smallest effort, i could have realized this. it is, in fact, duren on grba's card. i also should probably not have joked about the hard night out as grba was an alcoholic.

      Delete