Friday, December 13, 2019

there is more than one way to obtain a kaat (and complete the 1972 topps set)

some time around halloween, i decided to buck up and finish my 1972 topps set. i had picked up a few cards here and there this year, but had no real focus on obtaining the last 18 or so cards i needed. they were all high numbers, including rod carew's in action card and the joe morgan and steve carlton traded cards, so the task was a bit daunting.

i went to one of the local card shows in november and picked up a few cards that i needed, but didn't finish the set as i had hoped.  i live in the wrong place to find decently priced copies of that aforementioned carew card, as well as that of his teammate, jim kaat.  after a couple of online purchases, the kaat in action card was the last one i needed.

in what was a most unexpected and appreciated mailday, mr. haverkamp sent me the kaat card i needed to finish the 787 card set.
good old fashioned trading is a great way to finish a set, especially a vintage one.  thanks jim!

here are the other nine cards that made up the last ten needs.
i purchased all but the mazeroski from greg morris cards on ebay.

so now i have completed the topps sets from 1970 through 2010, although i think i sold some of my sets from the 90s that had been left at my parents' place. that's ok though, as i am toying with the idea of keeping only my flagship sets through 1979 - they are the only ones i've bindered:
my set building focus shifts now to my ongoing attempts with 1965 and 1957, along with some modern sets - 2002 topps 206 and 2001 topps heritage.  i'd love to trade if you can help a blogger out!

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing that set! Seems like a toughie from everything I've read on the blogs over the years. That IA Carew is so scarce that I don't think I've even seen what it looks like until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks nick. i had not seen many carews in person until it arrived.

      Delete
  2. I could not be happier that the Kaat IA was the set finisher! As my note to you said, I figured the Carew IA would be on your want list forever.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought the Bobby Murcer card was the toughest one to find in the '72 set. (The last one for me was Tim Foli IA). Funny, the Jim(my) Stewart card was in my collection from the time I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the murcer ia card was one of the last 25 or so cards that i needed. i was suprised that i didn't have dick green as i had worked on a's team sets back in the early 1980's.

      Delete
  4. congratulations on finishing '72 topps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I've got 221 cards left to track down for my '72 set, unsurprisingly mostly high numbers.

    And I dig those custom binder labels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks gavin. good luck on your set, and thanks for noticing the binders!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on completing your set! I used to avoid Greg Morris auctions, because they're in California and always charged me tax. Now that most eBay auctions tack on tax... I guess I can start bidding on their stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mark. gma seems to have an endless supply of 1972 high numbers - at least it seemed so over the couple of months that i was watching auctions.

      Delete
  7. Happy day! Completing that set is quite the accomplishment, so congratulations on that. And getting that last card the way you did is pretty special, kudos to that fellow for helping you out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats ,I've been a proud owner of that set since 1974,one of my favorites of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's quite a run of complete sets. Congratulations! Cool idea for the binder labels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks! i was happy to see that you completed the 1978 set earlier this year. that is my favorite set!

    ReplyDelete