Tuesday, January 9, 2018

the answer was "one"

last june, in a post about matt kemp and my trip to colorado to see him play for the first time, i wondered how many home runs i would see cody bellinger hit during a series in washington dc that i was hoping to attend.

it turned out that i was only able to make it to the saturday game of the series, but i did get to see the roy hit his record-tying 38th home run of the season, for which topps created a card
it was a good game, and i got to say hello to old friends dusty baker and davey lopes.  and, even though bellinger went yard and the dodgers held on to win a close game against the team that i figured would be standing between them and a trip to the world series, a thumbs up from the second baseman of the team of my youth was the highlight of my day.  there's no topps now card for that, unfortunately.

6 comments:

  1. I am hoping that I attend a game that gets a Topps Now card some day, that's a fun momento!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this your first time at Nats Park? What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, first time. i enjoyed it, although i did not do much exploring as i have done at other parks i've visited (i'm up to 20 now). i took the metro in from reston where i was staying, which was convenient. my seat was right behind the nationals' dugout, so it was the first time i've sat in a dugout location with the netting extended in front of me - i didn't mind it.

      Delete
    2. It my nearest ballpark but I rarely go unless the Cubs are in town. Its probably my least favorite of the 15 or so I've been to. The metro is convenient but the whole atmosphere, to me, is suited more to DC residents than baseball. Which I guess is smart for them demographically.

      They also added netting during BP most of the way down both lines which made it much more difficult to get pregame autographs. They take it down after BP, not sure if you were there earlier to witness that or even noticed.

      Delete
    3. i got there quite early, but there was no bp that day. i was able to watch a rehabbing bryce harper run around for a bit, though. i mostly talked to the usher and enjoyed the warm weather until game time.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. My favorite things about Topps Now is the ability to collect cards featuring events from actual events you witnessed in person.

    ReplyDelete