Sunday, January 7, 2024

wilson!

over 14 years ago i discovered that my 1990 topps dodger team collection was missing mike davis' card (sorry mike!). history repeated itself earlier last summer as i was entering my dodger collection in to tcdb. when i got to the 1992 score set - a set that i had marked "dodgers complete" - i found that i was missing steve wilson. and, unlike the 1990 topps davis card, i did not have a bunch of 1992 score wilson cards sitting among my dupes.

i quickly added a wilson card to a sportlots order
and now my team set is complete.

similarly, i found that i had a promo version of this card
from 1992 donruss triple play but not the actual card. that, too, has been rectified and tcdb has been updated.

speaking of tcdb, it has taken me awhile to get to entering cards from my mini-collections, but i have been able to add most of them. there are still some i haven't entered, including my dodger stadium and my double play collections. i keep adding cards to those collections, however, including this fantastic 2001 topps fusion card
that nick at dime boxes turned me on to. it features one of the great moments in dodger stadium murals - manny mota's, in fact - that i love to see on cardboard so much. i don't know how i missed this example back when i was scrutinizing cards from the early 2000s for any sign of the murals.

i went back and forth about picking up this 2022 topps now turn back the clock card of jim palmer
but finally relented. it shows him pitching in dodger stadium during the 1966 world series. long gone are those low-rise paneled railings, but they are a dead giveaway for dodger stadium with pre-mccourt era photos.

as for double plays, i've added a 1985 topps sticker showing the dp combo of alan trammell and lou whitaker eliminating luis salazar
during the ninth inning of game three 1984 world series. not shown is tony gwynn who grounded to whitaker to start this play. gwynn made it safely to first base, but then steve garvey flew out to end the game.

more current twin killings include a 2006 topps marcus giles gold parallel card
a 2020 topps jonathan villar gold foil parallel card
a 2023 topps chrome vaughn grissom card
and a 2023 topps heritage jonathan india card
i am assuming mookie betts will get some double play cards in 2024 and i am looking forward to those, but first i want to get the rest of my mini-collections loaded in to tcdb. wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you landed a copy of that Erstad! Given the extent of your mural collection, I thought you already had it for sure. It's a great card. (Also gonna have to add that Whitaker/Trammell double play to my want list!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of that Topps Fusion product. Guess it came out right around the time I left the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it was one and done in 2001. it was a weird product for sure

      Delete
  3. As much trouble as I've had just trying to add some set needs and a few player collections to the site, I can't even fathom trying to do entries for themed mini-collections.

    ReplyDelete