Monday, August 3, 2020

cardpocalypse 7 day trading card challenge, day 6: now that's a name i've not heard in a long time

i've made it to day 6 of the cardpocalypse 7 day trading card challenge, finally. that means it's time for a non-sports card post!

there are a few non-sport cards in my collection, but only a few. by definition, they are cards that i really like, otherwise they would not be a part of my collection. cards of the bixby bridge and big sur, jaclyn smith, and bora bora are really the only four i've shared before. i have at least one other from an allen & ginter insert set, plus the one that i'll show below as my favorite non-sports card in my collection.  it's this 1977 topps star wars card of obi-wan kenobi
[i've updated this post because i found the scan of the card's back - a nice tusken raider portrait!]
before there were baseball cards in my house, there were star wars cards. my brother and i collected them, although my brother wound up with them all as i transitioned to baseball. i received my first pack of baseball cards in 1977 and was all-in in 1978. by then, the star wars phenomenon had settled a bit, although my brother and i still played with our toys.

anyway, this card is fairly iconic. it comes from series 2, and features the key phrase from the series - "may the force be with you". this was an early contender for my wallet card when gavin sounded the call a few years ago. ultimately, i went with the 1974 topps steve garvey card that i had carried in my wallet previously, but i sometimes think about this card and may someday switch it out.

may the force be with you. always.

5 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with '77 Star Wars cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 99.9% sure that the first packs I ever opened were Topps Star Wars cards. I followed in your footsteps and transitioned to baseball cards... but it took me a little longer. I think my first baseball packs were 1981 Donruss or 1981 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Wars cards, great memories there!

    ReplyDelete