Tuesday, September 10, 2024

the almost daily dodger - ramon martinez

as i was preparing the next retired number post, i was reminded that there are no mlb teams who have retired number 48. to me, 48 belongs to ramon martinez, who wore the number well over the course of his 11 seasons with the dodgers.

a while back i picked up his 1992 leaf black gold parallel
to complete my team set of those cards. ramon's number is front and center on the card, which looks pretty sharp overall in my opinion. 

i also had his 1997 fleer si card in my scanned folder
but i am still in need of three more cards to finish that team set.

one of my favorite ramon martinez memories is of his big league debut. he started a game against the giants in august of 1988 and pitched into the 8th inning, allowing just one run. it's really a ramon martinez adjacent memory because it was the game that tim leary won with a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the 11th inning. i was watching the game at a house party with a bunch of people and it was a tremendous shared experience with some longtime friends and teammates.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't think of any MLB players who wore #48. In fact... the only athlete that came to mind was Tomas Hertl (former San Jose Shark).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that he played in LA that long. Gun to my head, I would've 2-3 years tops.

    ReplyDelete