Sunday, September 8, 2024

football is in the air (and the mail)

right after i posted about the cards that fuji sent me from his summer sort, he let me know that another envelope was on the way with some cards that failed to make it into the initial mailing. he noted that these included cards from my "nefarious 9" list of my most wanted cards. one of them that showed up a few days later was this 2021 score mark brunell card
it was one of my most wanted non-dodger cards, a "bonus" 9 cards in addition to the top 9 that are all dodger centric. not to be outdone, i also got an email from jon at a pennysleeve for your thoughts asking (as he does from time to time) if i need a certain card or two. most of the time (all of the time?) the answer is yes! this time, the ask involved a couple of brunell cards - a 1997 pacific crown royale
and a 1998 skybox premium d'stroyers insert
i don't mention it often, and i don't have it loaded into tcdb or have a want list, but i have a pretty solid mark brunell collection. 

now, through the interaction with jon, i took a look at jon's "yours for the taking" page and asked for a few others to accompany the brunells through the mail

here's a double play card i didn't have - 2003 bowman bret boone
and four topps archives reserve cards - two from 2001
and two from 2002
the 1952 topps jackie robinson looks especially nice all refractored up! thanks jon!

as for the remainder of fuji's envelope, he was able to hit the top three cards from my "nefarious 9" list, including a 1987 drake's fernando valenzuela card
that isn't cut too badly. the other two cards were kevin brown's 2002 upper deck sweet spot
and marquis grissom's 2001 topps stars
cards. all three of those completed team sets for me (in brown's case, the non-sp team set) and i was quite happy to take them off the list. thanks fuji!

if you are interested in helping a blogger out, i have since refreshed my "nefarious 9" linked above with some new most wanted cards. in the meantime, i think a decent goal for the football season is to get my brunell collection cataloged. more fun than watching the vikings, that's for sure. stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Cool photo on that Score Brunell.
    Fernando gets my vote though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had never seen one of those 1987 Drake's cards before. One of these days I'll grab the Gwynn and Rickey for those collections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've never thought that you could've possibly needed the Reserve Dodgers. Had I known, I would've sent them to you much sooner.

    ReplyDelete