Saturday, June 13, 2020

max, dugie returns

neil simon wrote a bunch of great plays, many of which he adapted in to screenplays. "the odd couple", "the sunshine boys", "biloxi blues", and "brighton beach memoirs" are examples that come to mind. he also wrote screenplays. one of my favorite movies of his is "seems like old times" with chevy chase and goldie hawn.  anyway, all that is a long way to go to get to simon's 1983 film "max dugan returns". 

the film came to mind when i saw the cards that jay from the card hemorrhage blog sent my way in a trade recently.  the first card was a 2019 topps archives max muncy
followed by a similarly posed alex verdugo 2020 topps heritage card
there's even a baseball connection to the movie, as matthew broderick plays the grandson of max dugan who is struggling in little league. dugan, who has embezzled a bunch of money and wants to give it to his daughter and grandson, hires white sox hitting coach charley lau to give broderick's character some batting lessons. they pay off as broderick hits a home run at the end of the movie.

there were other non-neil simon connecting cards included, such as another 2020 heritage need of ross stripling
and even one of those sweepstakes/insert cards from 1989 bowman of jackie robinson
unlike that oversized release, this trade did not disappoint!

and, since it's taken me so long to post about this trade, we've completed another!  this time, in exchange for some closer cards, jay sent me a bunch of cards from the 1991 topps archives ultimate 1953 set, including this jim gilliam card:
since this is a card that i needed, and it is one that still eludes me from the actual 1953 dodger team set, i'll go ahead and show the back, too.
thanks jay, and if you haven't checked out his blog yet - do so. you know a guy who has the 1978 topps greg minton card as his avatar knows what's what.

4 comments:

  1. I love Max Dugan...a terrific movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw Max Dugan, but I remember watching Brighton Beach Memoirs when HBO or Cinemax had one of their free preview weeks back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cards here. I really like that Muncy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards there! I keep telling myself I have to read/see more plays, but so far I've come up way short on that goal. I do love the films of "The Sunshine Boys" & "Biloxi Blues" though (and both are in dire need of a re-watch, now that I think of it!).

    ReplyDelete