Tuesday, April 5, 2022

the luck stops here

you may recall a post from last year about the steve garvey topps now turn back the clock card that i bought directly from topps. i ordered five copies of the card, hoping to increase my chances of receiving one of the low numbered parallels, and that approach paid off!

earlier this year, i ordered another garvey card from topps. this time, i only bought one so i didn't expect to receive a parallel, and i did not.  here is what i did receive:
that is a 2022 topps project 70 steve garvey card by the artist known as sket one. yes, it appears that topps is going to keep going with project 70 in 2022. i was surprised to see this card pop up when it was first advertised and i don't know if garvey is going to be a repeat subject by any of the other artists, but the print run of 829 fro this card is greater than that of a few other subjects so we will see. i am certainly open to adding more cards if that is the case. 

it's an interesting card - one of only a couple that i can think of (1983 o-pee-chee and 2002 topps traded) that combine garvey's dodger and padre tenures on the same card. in case you don't know, project 70 is supposed to reflect an artist's reinterpretation of topps designs, although significant artistic license has been taken, on this card especially.
i don't see anything in the card that reflects the 1957 design. if anything, i see 1992 bowman (gold foil cards) in the border. it also has those same radiant lines that i wrote about in this post. interesting to me that he has worked with dc in the past!

there are a couple of parallels to be had - rainbow foil numbered to 70 and silver framed numbered to 51. there is also a gold framed version, but only one of those. even though i didn't luck out and receive one of the parallels, i am ok with just the base, thank you very much.

16 comments:

  1. Topps doesn't even know their own designs anymore In what way does this resemble '57? lol. It is a cool looking card though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was very happy with how the card looked on its own. 1957 has nothing to do with the final product, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I see nothing at all to do with the 1957 Topps design on that card. The "picture frame" thing a little bit makes me think 1991, and the script on "Garvey" evokes 1978 a bit, but that's about all I see. It's a pretty good card, probably more to my liking than a lot of the Project 70 cards which clearly are mimicking an old design, but how they arrived at 1957 is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree on all points - the script especially.

      Delete
  3. Had you had readers guess what design this card was based on... I can't imagine any of us would replay 1957. But that's art. Every artist has their own interpretation on things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really done with all of Topps' "projects." Pretty sure if they put Ron Cey in as a subject I wouldn't bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once i saw that lee mazzilli had a card, i figured at some point garvey would get one, too. now i can picture a keith shore penguin card in my mind...

      Delete
  5. One of the many things that bugs me about the whole Project 70/2020 stuff is the complete lack of fealty to the original Topps designs in so many cases. If you want to make a unique card, that's fine, but Topps shouldn't go passing it off as anything resembling an old design. I see absolutely nothing resembling '57 Topps there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes would have been fine by me if that part of the back had just been left blank.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been a fan of the Project 70 stuff, this one actually is one of the best ones I've seen, except for the Padres photo which doesn't really work well with the design. Perhaps it's better because it didn't try to look like a particular card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with you completely about the padres photo not really fitting, and that it looks great because it isn't tied to an actual card design.

      Delete
  7. Happy for you that you could add this one. I remember that parallel score you had. Have only seen a couple surface and they were grossly overpriced. As for this new one, I have seen a couple foils sell, but they were for unknown $ thanks to ebays new secrecy measures. The asking prices were ridiculous, so odds are the sale prices were up there too.

    The anrgy old man in me coming out in full force. I passed on this card and unless someone sells at a loss, I probably won't add it. I am continually amazed at the prices Garvey cards are bringing these days. I don't know who is fueling this, but it has reflections of peak times in the 2000s. A Chrome 1/1 au just sold this week for $410! Seriously? A Garvey 1/1 auto used to be maybe $100, sometimes less and sometimes more. The buyer had under 30 feedback, so unless someone who's been around a while has a new ID, This is not someone from the old guard who has been battling on ebay for years. Another sign that my time as a "super collector" has come to an end. I will continue to look for and grab older stuff I don't have or like, but the new stuff coming out now either needs to be very special to me or cheap. I'll let all the newbs overpay for it otherwise! Good luck getting the $ back when the market changes yet again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good thing i am not collecting garvey as an investment!

      Delete