Saturday, May 2, 2020

i think i have a hammer

about 20 years ago, an acquaintance of mine learned that i was a baseball fan and told me that he would get me a hank aaron autograph. apparently his work had him visiting car dealerships around the country, including those owned by hammerin' hank in the atlanta area. i said thanks, but didn't put much stock in to his offer. good thing, too, as nothing ever materialized.

many years later, i tried a through the mail attempt with aaron, and received a copy of a signed photo in return. it was a long shot, but there had been some successes reported at the time.  about a year ago, i decided to get serious and picked up a certified hank aaron autograph that i shared as the first entry in my hall of famer collection.

not long before that, however, i purchased a lot of cards online that included this one:

i purchased the lot primarily for another card, and flipped most of the rest of the lot, making this card and others that i kept more than free. that's the power of finding a poorly titled vintage lot!

the signature looks right, and the fact that it is somewhat faded and on a beat up 1973 topps card makes me think it is more likely to be legit. however, i have no plans to try to certify it. i'll just keep it and enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I have a few autographs I acquired as part of collections and lots over the years. I just add them to my ever-growing "are these real" autograph collection. Like you... I don't really have any plans on certifying them... but maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how much mail Hank would've got had he started signing TTM's, I definitely don't blame him, or anyone else of his stature, for not doing so.

    ReplyDelete