Monday, August 13, 2018

i'd buy that for $0.07! and i did!

i made it to the monthly card show on saturday for the first time in a while.  i made purchases from three dealers. the first guy had a decent dime box from which i found 40 cards.  good deal.  the third guy had his 15/$1 boxes, and i had to quickly dig before the people next to me decided to buy the full boxes at $12/each.  one guy did pull two boxes before i could get there, but i found some pretty decent stuff, including a 2017 topps update yu darvish photo variation short print.
yu had some friends, including the robinson cano
and joey votto
photo variation short prints from the same set.

i've never completed my 2017 want lists, so i wasn't sure if i needed the darvish or not.  it didn't matter in the end, as i wasn't going to leave him there for less than a dime.

in all, i found 75 cards to take from the boxes - some to flip and some to keep for my mini collections.  this is a 2005 upper deck mvp batter up card of phil niekro
who happens to be standing in dodger stadium.  you might think phil was there for an old-timer's game, but knowing the way ballplayers aged back then, this could be phil in his 30's.

here's a new double play for that collection - a 2012 topps erick aybar golden sparkle parallel
comc calls these parallels "golden moments", but i go with the sparkle.

my big daddy vladdy pc is represented by his 2001 upper deck legends card
here's a 2017 topps all-time all-stars card of eddie mathews
i like this insert set a lot, but it would have been even better had they included a certain dodger first baseman who won the all-star game mvp award twice.  oh well.  as much as i like this mathews, it was not the best one i picked up on saturday.

the last time i was at the card show, i picked up a big name (roberto clemente, to be exact) for my 1957 topps set build, and i did the same on saturday with this card
this came from the second dealer i purchased from, and i also grabbed another 10 cards from the set from him.

while i was looking at the 57's, i heard a person next to me talking about building the 1964 topps venezuelan set, and i knew that it had to be brian from highly subjective completely arbitrary. and so it was.  we had just recently completed a trade, so we didn't have any cards to exchange, but it was good to see him nonetheless.

here are a couple of the cards he sent me recently:
that's a 2018 panini diamond kings original materials relic card of clayton kershaw, and this is a 2018 topps stadium club kyle farmer auto
i like it when brian is assigned the nl west in his transatlantic box breaks!

as for the rest of the show, i was pulling cards from a quarter box at another seller's table when he began a homophobic rant to the seller next to him regarding someone who had walked by earlier. i loudly put the cards back and said no thanks. i wouldn't buy that at any price.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes - I hope that was a different quarter box from the one I found there. The guy I spoke with didn't go on any rants while I was there.

    I'll have to keep a closer eye out I missed the 15/$1 boxes completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever set up at a show, people who love photo variations would probably benefit from my dime boxes. I'm never able to see the codes at the bottom of the Topps card and even if I could see them, I'm too lazy to sit there and check every card. But my loss would be everyone else's gain. Congratulations on snagging that Darvish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, not giving your business to a bigot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "as for the rest of the show, i was pulling cards from a quarter box at another seller's table when he began a homophobic rant to the seller next to him regarding someone who had walked by earlier. i loudly put the cards back and said no thanks. i wouldn't buy that at any price."

    Thankfully I've never personally encountered anything like this at a card show, though I've heard far too many stories about it happening. No cards are worth buying from a homophobic dunce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Jim. I don't buy from bigots either. There's a fellow who does all the MI shows that won't get my business. He specializes in Tigers cards/memorabilia. I was about to make a purchase when he went on a rant about interracial couples. I put the cards back, saying 'no thanks.' When in MI, avoid the big, tall guy with nice head of white hair and tan to match.

    ReplyDelete